Menu
Sadjonvee
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

change to router access

I am getting a constant issue with internet access failing - it drops out throughout the day for up to 3 minutes at a time, then comes back for anywhere between 5 minutes and a few hours, then the dropout. Looks like ti might be a DNS issue, but don't know how to troubleshoot. But more importantly:

Attempting to log in to the Super Hub. Before this issue, I went to 192.168.0.1 and was presented with a Username and PAssword screen. Worked perfectly. NOW I get "settings password" and "WPS PIN" - no username. If I try my admin password, it fails. If I try the default one printed on the router, it fails. If I try the WPS code on the router - it fails. So no idea how to actually get onto the router at all. Can anyone help me please?

thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: change to router access

Hey Dave,

Thanks for getting in touch, welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to read about the troubles you're having with your Superhub. To address the problems with logging into the GUI, can you please perform a full factory reset (hold a pin into the reset hole for 30 seconds) this will revert any personal settings to default and you should then be able to log in using the info on the Superhub.

If this doesn't help, please let us know so we can then look into replacing your equipment.

Thanks again for posting,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Sadjonvee
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Couldn't find the pin for reset, but had a button on the side that seems to have done the same thing - at least it allows me to log on to the hub now.

The larger problem - the constant dropping of signal for short periods of time - remains and is getting increasingly problematic. I use the Internet pretty much all day for work, and a lot of that involves audio or video conferencing. Repeatedly dropping out of these calls is a major concern for me, and is going to affect my livelihood if I don't get it sorted out soon. I see a lot of other people posting about this, so is there a known issue that needs fixing? I have not rung tech support as the fact that the dropping out is random means I could easily call without anything for them to see several times. Not sure how best to proceed, to be honest.

D.

0 Kudos
Sadjonvee
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

for added information, my router settings are:

hardware version    2.00

software version     V2.39.02"

Don't know if this is relevant?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Very Happy

Good to hear that you're now able to get into your settings.

When you say it's randomly disconnecting, does it do this on the wireless, hard-wired or both? When it happens does it appear that your Hub is rebooting itself?

Catch you soon and hope you have a great weekend.

Take care.

Heather_J

0 Kudos
Sadjonvee
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather

The connectivity problems are not wireless or ethernet. I have been running two tests. The first is a constant outbound ping to Google DNS and this is showing regular latency round trip of <20ms, with every 20 or 30 pings through the working day of >150ms. Then at random intervals, rarely more than15 minutes apart but far more frequently during the 06;00 - 23:59 period, the ping fails completely. This can last from a few seconds to several minutes. The failure affects ALL network devices, both wireless and non, including windows & apple workstations, playstations 3 and 4, and mobile phones, so the problem is from the router out to the Internet. The problem has occurred consistently over the five days I've been running the test. During the same time, my SuperHub shows NO log entries referring to network failure during the outage periods.

The second test I've been running is the ThinkBroadband quality test, where they have been running a constant inbound ping against my WAN IP address. This shows a major problem with latency pretty well all day every day with one slot between 02:30 - 04:00 where the circuit suddenly clears and runs very well before resuming the problems again.

Inbound test traffic last 24 hoursInbound test traffic last 24 hours

I strongly believe that EITHER my Hub vsn 2.0 is faulty (and I hear second hand stories that an upgrade has solved similar problems for other users) OR I am victim of contention somewhere between my home and the WWW. I am paying for 50Gb speeds, and for the most part I'm getting around the 40+ mark, however this is irrelevant if my connection repeatedly drops, as I use the service heavily for voice and video conferencing and dropouts and latency spikes render this often unusable. I was led to believe that because i have dedicated fibre to the home I would not suffer contention  - this seems to clearly not be the case any longer. I was NOT conscious of the problem being this bad prior to December 2016.

I would be grateful for any advice or assistance as soon as possible?

thanks, Dave

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sadjonvee,

Thanks for giving us the additional information on the dropping connection. I've just checked over your equipment and can see that your downstream power levels are out of spec which will cause both slow downs and disconnections. 

We'll have to arrange a technician to adjust this and I've 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Sadjonvee
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK, so I have had my engineer's visit. He found that the circuit which should be running at +11 thingies was actually showing as -5 thingies. So he checked the cabling and connections inside and outside the property, in the street and at the cabinet, and eventually changed a doobrey at the main whatsit and the circuit is now around +10 thingies and seems stable.

So that is great, and he also explained how to improve my contract bundle, which was very nice as well.

HOWEVER (and this is weird so bear with me)

I've got PING running on my laptop(s) in two sessions; one to my Router (which the engineer says should be in a museum!) and one to Google DNS. so this will show whether any dropouts are caused by wireless issues or router/external connection issues. Using this combo, I am still seeing random dropouts for my internet connection. Very very occasionally the wireless ping fails at the same time as the internet ping, and in those few cases, they come back together. More often, the loss is ONLY on the ping to 8.8.8.8, and link to the router remains up. But here is the weird part.... in order to re-establish the internet link, I am turning off my laptop wireless and then immediately back on; the ping continues to fail for TWO transimissions and then Hey Presto! I have my internet back. Now remember, I am simultaneously testing the wireless circuit by pinging my router internal IP and it shows no packet lost or major latency during the internet dropout. So why and how can resetting my wireless link re-establish my internet connection !!!!!! BIZARRE !!!! 

Any help  advice thoughts or observations very welcome!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Sadjanvee,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

Good to hear the engineer visit was a success. As for your other fault, this certainly is an odd one. I'm really struggling to see how turning the wireless off and back on on your laptop get's your router back up and running Smiley Frustrated

Let's see if any members of the community have any ideas!

Thanks again for positing,

Take care.

Heather_J

0 Kudos