Menu
lividihard
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Working from home

Hi,

Looking for some help please. I work from home all the time and have taken the works package on top of my subscription.

I work from home all day every day and need to connect to a VPN for my work which I never have any problems with.

My wife works for a different company and sometimes works from home also but not as often. She also needs to connect to a VPN for her work.

I have installed a cabled connection into my office through power line connectors to give me a stable and fast connection due to the location of my office.

When my wife works from home she sits downstairs at the dining table which is no more than 8 feet from the hub.

However she has constant issues with the wifi dropping and kicking her off the wifi.

My question is can 2 people work from home and be connected to 2 different VPN's without any problems and does the issue lie with her works VPN or is it simply not possible to have this set up at home?

0 Kudos
Thomask556
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Working from home

there should not be any problems i have 2 computers connected 2 different vpn's sound more like an issue with wifi. witch super hub do you is the vm hub used for wifi?  

0 Kudos
pmarsh42
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there appears to be some issues using VPN through the Virgin Hubs. For the Supper Hub 2 you can change the pass through settings. There is a video on you tube that shows you how to do this. For the Super Hub 3 I am not aware of a soulution other that use a secondary wireless router or mains port. I did contact Virgin yesterday and they made some set up changes to my new Hub 3 but they didn't work.
0 Kudos
lividihard
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am using the Superhub 3

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The one thing not clear from your original post is what happens to WiFi on your wife's laptop when she is not using a VPN?

The answer to that would shape decent advice to your problem.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
lividihard
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

will need to test that fully but the wifi signal fully drops and needs to re-connect if that helps

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Let's be clear about what you said. The WiFi drops on your wife's laptop irrespective of whether or not she is using a VPN? Right?

Anyway, there is no relationship between WiFi dropping and use of a VPN. Presumably the 8 feet distance between laptop and Hub is not through a wall. Right? If it is through a wall, what happens when right close up?

Do any of the Hub lights come on when the WiFi fails?

If WiFi drops when right close up, then, imo, the Hub's WiFi hardware has failed and VM would need to replace the Hub.

What happens if you connect a 3m Ethernet lead to your wife's laptop? The 2 VPNs would be running at the same time so you can check that the firmware is happy with that. It should be because each port address on the router, be it WiFi or Ethernet, sets up its own virtual machine in the router and, bugs apart, should work independently of each other. The Ethernet test would be fairly definitive, I would say.

Forgive all the questions, but we only have the information you provide to go on. Plus I do all this for a living at quite a deep level.

0 Kudos
pmarsh42
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Don't know why your asking all these questions but take it from me VPN connections are a major issue with the Hub 3. I have over 20 years experance of connectivity and it's clear to me that directly connecting to the Hub 3 will not work for VPN connections. I have to use another device to use my Cisco VPN.

I can't believe how incompedent Virgin Media have been to release a cable modem that can't deliver a VPN connection
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

pmarsh42 wrote:
Don't know why your asking all these questions but take it from me VPN connections are a major issue with the Hub 3. I have over 20 years experance of connectivity and it's clear to me that directly connecting to the Hub 3 will not work for VPN connections. I have to use another device to use my Cisco VPN.

I can't believe how incompedent Virgin Media have been to release a cable modem that can't deliver a VPN connection

I explained why I'm asking the questions - to the OP, not you.

We do agree, however, that it is best to put the Hub into modem mode and use one's own router.  In the case of the OP, it isn't all clear that his wife has a VPN issue as distinct from a Hub/WiFi issue.

0 Kudos
Thomask556
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

never had one problem with hub 3 and vpn's 

0 Kudos