Menu
G33MAN
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wireless Speed Drop

Hi there,

I have a PC in my kitchen which has always been great on the wireless network. All of a sudden the speed has dropped off from 70mbs to less than 4mbs and even as low as 1mbs. I have also noticed a speed drop on my laptop as well from over a 100mbs down to 50mbs at 6ft away from the Virgin box. I have a 200mb connection and I know what speeds I normaly get on each wireless device. Any help would be great and thanks so much in advance,

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wireless Speed Drop

First of all I would test your internet connection speed by testing with a device equipped with a gigabit ethernet adapter connected to the hub directly by Cat 5E or better ethernet cable. This is the only way to test the true speed of your internet connection so you can determine whether it is a problem with the internet connection between the hub and VM, or a wireless problem.

If you are getting headline speeds all the time (including during the evening peak time) on a wired connection. then the problem lies on the wireless side, possibly a new source of wireless interference nearby.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Basically, with a spectrum analyser, but these are expensive, especially for ocassional use  so less precise methods would be probably the best way to go.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.bear in mind that these scanners will not pick up interference from domestic appliances such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc. ( a spectrum analyser will)

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

First of all I would test your internet connection speed by testing with a device equipped with a gigabit ethernet adapter connected to the hub directly by Cat 5E or better ethernet cable. This is the only way to test the true speed of your internet connection so you can determine whether it is a problem with the internet connection between the hub and VM, or a wireless problem.

If you are getting headline speeds all the time (including during the evening peak time) on a wired connection. then the problem lies on the wireless side, possibly a new source of wireless interference nearby.

G33MAN
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice , it does seem to a wireless problem. How do i find out what is causing interference ?

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Basically, with a spectrum analyser, but these are expensive, especially for ocassional use  so less precise methods would be probably the best way to go.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.bear in mind that these scanners will not pick up interference from domestic appliances such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc. ( a spectrum analyser will)

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

G33MAN
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help and I will have a look see what I can do. Starting to look like it's just that one PC. Will have to spend some time and will try to do what you suggest. 

Regards,

Gary.

0 Kudos