Menu
valetillidye
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wireless Internet Speed

Hi there,

ive been having issues for a few weeks with my internet speeds, mainly "buffering" or programs not playing properly on Amazon prime and also playing online games on the PS4 is at times impossible. I've  checked my account and it says we should/could be getting speeds of up to 70mbps however having downloaded a speed tracking ap we're getting speeds which are a million times short of that, circa 15mbp.        

Help 

many thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wireless Internet Speed

With the trend were all seeing lately and with those exact problems I am gonna stick with my assertions, but I would definitely follow any diagnostics just in case, although with no direct disconnects and problems gaming its going to be the general quality of the broadband and with this being virgin I am pretty sure we know what it is Smiley Wink
0 Kudos

All Replies
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Most likely your local are is over subscribed and the network can't manage the load its being subjected too, I would setup a thinkbroadband ping quality monitor to see if your ping gets worse during peak times, and giving virgin a call to see if they have a fault code for you area.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I would do a few basic diagnostic tests before jumping to any ill-informed conclusions.

You will test your internet speed with a device connected directly to the hub, testing the speed during the day and again during evening peak time. Getting headline wired speed during the day and poor speeds during peak time, would indeed suggest a Contention issue.

However. poor wired speeds all the time would suggest a yechnical fault like the Hub working outside required parameters, or a local circuit issue like noise or plant failure.

If you get good wired speeds, but poor wireless speeds then it would look like a wireless issue. There are some Tips here on how to improve your wireless signal.

0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

With the trend were all seeing lately and with those exact problems I am gonna stick with my assertions, but I would definitely follow any diagnostics just in case, although with no direct disconnects and problems gaming its going to be the general quality of the broadband and with this being virgin I am pretty sure we know what it is Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi valetillidye,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear you're having speed trouble.

I've checked the account and there are no network issues in your area! There's also no issues with any of your levels.

As griffin has said, we'll need to do further checks to find out why your internet is slow. Have you tried testing your connection wired? Does the slow speeds affect all your device or just one?

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos