Menu
EgbertNobacon
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wireless Extension

Hi,

Have a Virgin Media hub in my loft. Wireless is weak on he ground floor.  I have hard wired an extension point to the downstairs.  This works well to plug a laptop into but put phones and iPads need wireless.  There are products on the market I think that use the ring main, the loft is on a separate ring so that's not possible.  I need a device that plugs into the extension to give another wireless point. The extension socket has a power point next to it if the new device needs power I'm sure it would)  Any ideas?

thanks

Egbert 

0 Kudos
Tsar
Up to speed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wireless Extension

You need to connect a wireless router to your ethernet extension port.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

if you connect a wireless router then the VM hub would have to be in modem mode ideally 

you may find the powerline adapters will work even thought they are on a separate ring - worth a try if that is your preferred method - just buy them from somewhere you can return them if they dont work

Tony
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In addition to Tsar's advise you could always get a wireless access point, which has no routing or NAT functions.

If you do go down the router route. then get one with access point mode. This will turn off the router's DHCP server to avoid IP address problems and will turn off NAT which will avoid double NATing

0 Kudos
EgbertNobacon
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

What's NAT?

If I use another router would the wireless networks be different as I moved around the house?

Is there a benefit to using a router? (other than I may have an old one)

Can you recommend a Wireless Access point? 

E

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Network Address Translation basically maps Public WAN IP addresses to Private LAN addresses that your devices connected to your router uses.

Basically,say you lived in a block of flats say Flat 1, 10 the High Street, Somewhere.( Your Global address)  Someone sends you a letter addresses to 10 the High Street Somewhere, the postman will put the letter through the letterbox of the building (Public) as he has no direct access to the flats (Private). The local postman for the flats, Postman Nat, picks up the letter and can see it is addressed to Flat 1, so he delivers it to Flat 1.

With a Wireless Access Point \ Router you can name the wireless networks what you want. If you give the Access Point the same SSID and security credentials as the SH, then devices should automatically connect to the one with the strongest signal seamlessly.

There is no benefit in using a router as the routing functions will be handled by the SH. You can try your old router, but you will need to disable the old router's DHCP server and not so crucially disable the NAT if possible. (if the router supports access point mode then it will be done automatically)

There is a lot of options out there and selection will be down to what you need and budget. e.g. if you have wireless ac wireless clients then you will need a wireless ac AP/Router. If you do not need wireless ac then a decent wireless N AP/ Router will do. I would bear in mind a few wireless Dual band APs do not broadcat the 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz bands simultaneously, so you will have to manually select the band to use.

I do not have a wireless AP/Router so I cannot personally recommend one, maybe others can.

0 Kudos
Tsar
Up to speed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you already have an old router plug it in. Disable DHCP on the router you added (Google if necessary). No changes needed on SuperHub. You can use the same SSID or a different one on the router you added. I'd recommend a different SSID (so you know which network you are using and for easier troubleshooting). Use an app like "WiFly" on phone and tablet to choose the better of the SH wifi and the new router wifi automatically.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When I do it I usually leave the ssid's the same then whatever connects will automatically switch to the strongest signal without needing any extra apps etc.

Basically depends on how much control you want, or if you just want to effectively plug in and play.

But basically if you do what Tsar says, no need to put the hub in modem mode etc. You could buy a proper access point but they are more expensive then just finding a cheap router with good wifi capabilites on ebay or using an old one you may have lying around.

Also you don't want to go the modem mode rout as you'll loose the wifi on the hub.

as an asside I setup my dad with 2 extra access points using tp-link TD-W8980s, mostly because you can get them relatively cheap, they have gigabit ports and are dual band .. and so far they have worked really well.

also you may want to set channels on both the router/ac and hub manually after checking locally used wifi channels to reduce conflicts

0 Kudos