Menu
zrx1337
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wired connection

Hello. I have a little problem with my new desktop pc. I just got a desktop pc, and obviously I need to connect it to Internet. I want to connect Internet to it with wired connection ( ethernet cable ) , but the problem is that my virginmedia superhub 3.0 is in the living room while my pc is in my bedroom. So basically my pc is too far from my router. What I should do ? P.s I want only a wired connection , not a wireless. Thank you.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wired connection

A long ethernet cable or a decent set of powerline adapters

Bear in mind that powerline speeds will depend on the condition of your home's electrical circuit and typically yield about 20% of advertised speed

0 Kudos
zrx1337
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well , if I'm gonna use powerline adapters , it will make my Internet connection slower? I mean I want a decent connection on my pc because I usually play online video games so I need fast Internet on my pc?
P.s also I heard that I can buy a router and than to make a repeater / bRidge with that. So basically I connect my new router via wireless to my virginmedia superhub, and than I connect my pc to my new router via ethernet cable? Does it work?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The hubs do not support wireless bridging, anyway wireless bridging would not be a good idea as any connection is only as fast as the slowest link, wireless bridges are slow and can be adversley affected by many factors which are not present with wired connections.

Wireless repeating is even a worse idea, as it halves the speed straight of the bat due to the half duplex nature of wireless, plus you still have all the factors that affect wireless to contend with as well.

You do not need fast internet speeds for online gaming usually 1Mbps is plenty, as you are transferring telemetry data and not graphics which is processed by your PC. What you do need is a good quality, stable connection with a low latency, ensuring packets are sent / received in a timely manner.

As I said before the speed of the powerline adapters will depend on the condition of your home's electrical circuits. If your electrical circuits are noisy then the speed will be slower and you may experience higher latency.

In short you should get better speeds and latency with powerline adapters but they still would not be as good as a ethernet cable.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you want a wired connection then do a wired connection, just try and work out a rout the wire can make from your pc to your hub.. following skirting boards, maybe a hole through a wall... internal walls are usually pretty easy to drill through. If you need to go between floors, then is there a discreet corner or a floor to ceiling cupboard you could hide a hole in ceiling and floor, or maybe some trunking help disguise it things.

Would taking the cable outside be easier?

Try and do it with Cat6 cable to get he best speeds, and if you go outside get suitable grade cable..

0 Kudos
zrx1337
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There is a way to check my electrical circuits?
P.s if I use a powerline adapter , it could increase my energy use or it will not affect it very much?
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They use hardly any energy so you'd be unlikely to notice any difference in your electricity bill.

Also be careful when buying, some power-lines may say 300Mbit but only have 100Mbit ports, as the bandwidth of powerline devices are shared between everything connected, so even though those ones are rated at 300Mbit, they are still limited to 100Mbit per device...

Although for gaming ping is more important, so its probably worth doing some research and finding which ones are best for gaming.

0 Kudos
zrx1337
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Would this one be good? TL-PA4010KIT V1.20 600 mbps.
0 Kudos