Menu
paddynet47
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Win 10 - No internet access still

Microsoft update KB3206632 installed but still no internet. Worked for a couple of hours then down again. I've tried everything that's been suggested. I just want someone to tell me what is happening and tell me I should do. Should I wait for Virgin to fix. Thanks. Peter
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
265feral
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Win 10 - No internet access still

I second this.  I'm one of the lucky (?) ones who still has internet access but it's really spotty - my download speed has gone from an average of 140 to 2 Mbps.  I've done the config and dns cache resets but to no effect that I can see i.e. YouTube videos are pausing when usually I have no problems and my little boy is not best pleased that he can't watch videos or play cbeebies games without regular pauses while pages load; I was looking forward to watching Man In The High Castle season 2 on Amazon tonight but with the current situation I'm not even going to bother.

I'm on the Full House and Vivid 200 packs (so the max packages) and I'm really disappointed in how slowly Virgin seem to be responding to this; given I'm paying £140+ per month I expect better.  I also noted the reset of the fix time from 16th Dec to 19th Dec - is that because the problem is so difficult to solve or that Virgin don't work at the weekends? Smiley Indifferent

All Replies
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It takes about a week for the stretched VM bods to get to a thread. In the meantime, perhaps some triage would help.

Please navigate to 192.168.100.1 which takes you inmto the hub admin screen. Don't log in. Just look for the ROUTER STATUS link. Hit that link and get to the Downstream, Upstream power levels and Network Log.

Copy/Paste what you see in each of those pages - don't worry about formatting.

Then we can see if there's anything that stands out to explain your circuit los.

Also a couple of questions?

1. Does the connection drop when wired to the hub?
2. When the connection drops, what do the hub lights do?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
howdmc
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Firstly, came here to vent spleen but thanks Sephiroth for his suggestion which I will do as soon as venting is complete.

Wifi has been up and down and in and out all day, leading me to think a resolution is near but I now see on the service status that the resolution date/time of 16th / 1600 has been bumped to 19th / 1600.

There was another thread with suggestions around DCHP, IP address workarounds and the like - all very well if you're up on these things but this is already customer ping-pong between two corporate suppliers (Virgin & Microsoft) and the last thing needed is the elderly and bewildered fiddling around with things they don't fully understood. In truth I'm maybe a little more clued up than that IT-wise, but have been round the block enough to see how much damage a little knowledge can do. All I know is that Wi-Fi has been knackered since Tuesday and I've tried all the 'official' stuff that I have picked up (BBC, The Register, Microsoft etc) meanwhile Virgin's own service status suggests that this is unresolved and they seem to have no real handle on timescales.

It's all very well people posting on here saying they sorted the problem with workaround A, B or C, but for many of us it's like we have our faces at the window of a party to which we are excluded entry. Please Virgin, list all these workarounds in a reasonably fool-proof way if that's possible so we can at least explore all options in a safe and supported environment.

Right now this feels like the single worst example of customer service I have come across in years. If the reality is that Virgin can only suffer customers who have a certain level of IT knowledge who can deep dive technical issues and project manage across technical issues then, fine, lets have that out in the open so we can walk away from our contracts now and into the arms a provider - if one exists - who will not be able to boast the speed of Virgin but who may be happy to extend a greater facility to those in need of more of a helping hand.

265feral
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I second this.  I'm one of the lucky (?) ones who still has internet access but it's really spotty - my download speed has gone from an average of 140 to 2 Mbps.  I've done the config and dns cache resets but to no effect that I can see i.e. YouTube videos are pausing when usually I have no problems and my little boy is not best pleased that he can't watch videos or play cbeebies games without regular pauses while pages load; I was looking forward to watching Man In The High Castle season 2 on Amazon tonight but with the current situation I'm not even going to bother.

I'm on the Full House and Vivid 200 packs (so the max packages) and I'm really disappointed in how slowly Virgin seem to be responding to this; given I'm paying £140+ per month I expect better.  I also noted the reset of the fix time from 16th Dec to 19th Dec - is that because the problem is so difficult to solve or that Virgin don't work at the weekends? Smiley Indifferent