Menu
Helmatron
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wii wireless Hub 3.0 Problem

I have two Wiis which both will not pick up the VM hub 3.0 since having it installed. It's not finding router when they search for access points. I've tried setting the wireless mode to n on the 2.4Ghz band as suggested in the post below, but no joy. It can't be a fault with the Wi as both are failing to pick up the router, and both worked on the previous Superhub.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Wii-can-t-find-Hub-3-0/td-p/3342783

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This new hub has caused nothing but headaches so far, not been impressed!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wii wireless Hub 3.0 Problem

if you split up the 2.4ghz and 5ghz onto different networks, e.g. give them different names apply/save, also is this the wii or wii u? since:
•Wireless Frequency: 2.4 GHz Frequency
•Wireless Modes: 802.11b, 802.11g
•Wireless Security Modes: WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES)

Wii U
•Wireless Frequency: 2.4GHz Frequency
•Wireless Modes: 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n
•Wireless Security Modes: WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (TKIP)
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Helmatron
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. It's the original Wii. From Wikipedia the wifi on the Wii is

• Mitsumi DWM-W004 WiFi 802.11b/g wireless module

So i've set the Hub 3.0 wireless 2.4GHz to 802.11b/g mixed, channel to auto, channel width to 20 GHz but the Wii is still not seeing the router. It's picking up other access points in my building, including a Virgin Media access point, but the SSID is showing as 'Virgin Media' rather than an individual reference. I've tried connecting to that access point but it's not working; when trying to connect to it it's giving me an error code 51331 - unable to connect if trying WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES) or WPA2-PSK (AES) security, or telling me 'the information you have entered is incorrect' if i try WEP security.

I wasn't quite sure what you meant by setting up different wireless networks, how do i do that? I couldn't see an obvious answer in the options on the hub.

0 Kudos
Helmatron
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, just seen that you can change the name for the 2.4 and 5 GHz under the security tab. I've changed their names slightly and turned all wireless security off, and now two VM access points are showing in the Wii menu but they are both still named 'Virgin Media' rather than the individual SSID. And they are both showing as secure, although I have disabled security on the router.

I'm confused!

0 Kudos
Helmatron
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

And as a further update, after renaming the wifi SSIDs i can see from my laptop that there is another 'Virgin Media' SSID in my building aside from my 2.4 and 5 networks, so when i was trying to connect to that previously on the Wii it probably wasn't mine and I assume the Wii just isn't seeing my network at all.

0 Kudos
Helmatron
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Solved! Had to set it all up manually but it is working now. 

0 Kudos