Menu
Barry_P
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wifi speeds

Since joining Virgin in February 2017 I have experienced a dramatic reduction in wifi speeds that I can achieve. Currently it is around 25mbps but does drop to 3mbps. I am paying for up to 200mbps and hard wired connection varies between 190 and 100mbps but on occasions drops to around 40mbps.

Four engineers have visited performing various things to resolve the issue including changing the router. The last engineer called and again he could not resolve the issue. He left me a sheet that noted "ticket raised for errors" and "speed issue fix date 12 July". He did not give a reason for what I would consider a very long time to resolve the issue or what the issue actually was.

I would like someone to advise if you know what the problem actually is as by the 12 July I will have been experiencing an extremely poor service for almost 4 months. I am in Area 25.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi speeds

if you are getting good speeds wired then the problem is the wireless. that is outside vm control and many things can effect i that sometimes can't be fixed.

you could try changing wireless channels. getting a 802.11ac wireless device or getting a better 802.11ac wireless router and using with the SH in modem mode
0 Kudos
Barry_P
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax

Are you saying that 40mbps from a 200mbps service is good speed?

I have a changed channels, the engineer split the 2.4 an5 bands to try and increase speed without any noticeable difference. My computer has an 802.11ac wireless card so should be receiving the best performance. Is the "super hub" so bad that the only solution is to spend another couple of hundred pounds on a new router or can I send Virgin Media the bill?

Barry 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

i am if you are using wireless in a problematic area Yes.

If you are getting better speeds wired then that is what VM are supplying to you.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Are the slower wired speeds during peak times? 4pm to midnight and all day weekends.

The "speed issue fix date 12 July" makes me wonder if your area is over subscribed, network can't cope with the amount of people on it basically. Normal faults don't take that long to fix.

When the forum staff get round to replying they'll be able to tell you if this is the case or not.

Dave.

0 Kudos
greeniegirl
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Morning

Since you have mentioned a fix date of 12th July ( I know this is a long way away) this sounds like your being affected by high utilisation...this means certain times of the day your speeds will degrade due to the usage on the cable. ( not your individual cable to the property, the cables that run underground providing a lot of customers with their connection)

High Utilisation is one of the most frustrating faults as this is a fault that the engineers over the phone can not fix, it means cabling work will need to be actioned, going through council to get planning permission which can take a long time which is why you have probably been given the est fix time of 12th July.  Virginmedia has a credit policy in place so whilst they can not fix the fault at this moment you should not be paying for a full broadband service, you will be entitled to a discount.  If you have line rental with virgin you can ring 151 if you do not have line rental then call 03454 454 11 11, option 1. Then a credit can be applied to your account.

Whilst this doesn't fix your fault at least your not paying for a full service your not receiving.

Hope this helps

Goodluck

I am a virginmedia employee but all opinions are my own.
0 Kudos