Menu
pjpaullee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Wifi speed varies widely

Hi

Since early December been suffering poor and inconsistent wifi speeds.  Usual set up is a Super Hub 3 in modem mode with an Apple Time Capsule router (on latest firmware).  We are on Vivid 200 and regularly got 170-200+ mbps over wifi.

We cancelled Virgin TV in December but retained the Vivid 200 and the home phone.  Around 10 Dec, I noticed very poor speed of around 20 mbps on wifi.  Phoned Virgin and after an hour on the phone restarting everything and putting the Hub back into router mode there was no improvement (same speed over Hub wifi).  I was then told there was "essential network improvements" that would be ongoing till 25 Jan and this was the reason behind the speed drop.  When this date passed, I phoned again and was told delayed end of works to 8 Feb.  When this date passed I was told another fault was on the network and would be fixed 9 Feb.

Since then no improvement.  Tried Ethernet to Hub and get 85 mbps twice and then a 25 mbps reading.  Unfortunately, I did not have a machine with a gigabit card in it (this was a borrowed laptop as both our laptops have no Ethernet port!).  Virgin refuses to investigate further until I can test again.

I have do all the usual things like changing wifi channels (although nothing seems to be overlapping) and have even gone around turning various devices that could interfere with the wifi although nothing has changed where the router is since we were getting good speed.

I am going to try and borrow a machine with a gigabit card in so I can do another wired test but does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I may also try another router but don't think this can be the issue as both the Hub and the Apple router give the same poor speed.

Strange thing is when I woke up today I did three speed tests at 7am - all around or in excess of 200 mbps.  Half an hour later dropped to 25 mbps with no change in electronics being turned on etc.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi speed varies widely

Evening pjpaullee,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I'm sorry to read you are having issues with the broadband speeds. I know how frustrating this can be.

I've taken a look at the network and there is high traffic during peak hours, which I have raised to our networks department for further investigation. Once I have more information I will let you know.

As this will impact your speeds during peak hours, if you can complete a speed test outside these hours through a wired connection, that would be helpful as we can see if there is a difference.

Let me know how you get on
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi speed varies widely

Hi there pjpaullee,

I've received confirmation of the fault that I raised in regards to the high peak time traffic in your area.

The reference number is F005104210 and has a review date of 6th September.

To discuss this further I have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner).

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos