Menu
Jonathan76
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Wifi slow since upgrade

Hi.

I recently upgraded to 200mb BB and was sent a new hub 3.0 as part of the upgrade. Since connecting the hub 3.0 my wifi has decreased overall.

I used to have a super hub and my wifi would be almost exactly what I was paying for. Now that the hub 3.0 is connected my wifi has dropped down to an average 30-40mb regardless of peak or non peak hours.

I have seperated 2.4 and 5GHZ bands but this makes very little difference. To make things worse, when I visit my parents house I can get a consistent 70mb wifi from their hub 3.0 and they are only paying for 70mb.

In summary. I pay for 200mb and get 30mb on wifi. My parents pay for 70mb and get the full 70mb.

I have tested a wire connection and I get the full 200mb. It's only over wifi that it is terrible. I wish I had never 'upgraded'.

I only connect my iPhone 6s on wifi and occasionally the laptop. Any help would be appreciated.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi slow since upgrade

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors so it is not something VM can control or guarantee, no ISP can.  The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much.  The only thing VM will suggest is trying different wireless channels, they have a guide here.  Also make sure that the location of the hub is optimal and not stuck behind a TV or fish tank as these can block or degrade the wireless signals.

There is also a sticky post at the top of this board with good advice:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Jonathan76
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi slow since upgrade

Hi
Thank you for the reply. I have already tried moving the hub and following the guide. I have tried changing channels to no avail.
I feel the best way for an improved wifi signal would be to downgrade my service back to the original superhub as this gave me better consistent wifi signals.
0 Kudos