Menu
camelcottage
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wifi signal blocked from my tablet

I have had a Linx 1010 tablet with Windows 10 for about a year. It has been happily connected to my vm wifi (for the last month or so) until the other evening when it went to sleep and when it woke it could no longer see my vm network. It connects fine to other networks, so the problem is not in the tablet.

My laptop still connects to the vm wifi fine with its Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN - in fact I'm using it to post this question.

I've tried all the usual things, turning off and back on again, re-installing the network adapter driver, etc etc but nothing works.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions? I think the only possibility is that the VM modem is somehow blocking the signal to my tablet. Weird. I've tried manually adding the connection, (and password) but no good. It can see other vm wifi signals from neighbours.....

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi signal blocked from my tablet

can it see the vm hubs SSID?

have you tried switching the hub on and off?

have any lights started flashing on front of your hub that didn't used to?

0 Kudos
camelcottage
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wow, that was fast! No, it can't see any signal from the hub at all and yes, I have tried switching the hub 3 off and back on again. There are no extra lights flashing, tv and laptop both connecting fine....

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is your router broadcasting its SSID?

Has your router been configured to filter MAC addresses?

Is your router broadcasting on 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz or both? Can your tablet WiFi interface handle the appropriate broadcast frequency?

Have you tried changing the router broadcast channel?

Have you removed (forget) the network from your tablet before trying to reconnect?

Have you reset your router to default values? (Hold the reset button on the router for a full 30 seconds.)

Have you fully shut down and then restarted your tablet?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
camelcottage
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I don't know how to check if the router is broadcasting its ssid, apart from the fact that my laptop and smart tv can both connect without any problems.

No idea if the router has been configured to filter MAC addresses, I have done nothing to it except turn it off and back on again after the problem started. But since it was working ok for at least a month, I don't see what can have changed.

It must be broadcasting on both as my laptop is an old one using vista (2.4 ghz) and the tablet a new one with windows 10 (5 ghz)  As I mentioned, the tablet was working well with the router for at least a month, so it must be able to cope with the broadcast frequency.

Yes, I have removed the network from tablet before trying to re-connect

I don't know how to change the router broadcast channel, but do not see how that would help.

yes, I have fully shut down and re-started the tablet. The tablet is working fine on other networks. The router is working fine with other devices. It's very strange.

I have not tried re-setting the router - I'll try holding down the re-set button on the router for 30 secs tomorrow.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If this last doesn't work, I'll call vm in.

0 Kudos
camelcottage
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Latest  update : re-setting the modem (with a toothpick) did the trick!

I hope I don't have to do that every time I switch anything off !

Tablet and laptop both working fine. I expect the tv will be the next thing to play up.

Cheers and thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good to hear you're back online with your tablet Smiley Wink

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos