Menu
sally45
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi/router problems

My wifi router cuts out alot. It had been happening for a while, until just today when it cut out and my SSID and password changed into their defult. I want to know if this was intentional by Vigin Media or is it something else? Please reply I'm really concerned as this has never happened before.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi/router problems

Do you have the SH1 (VMDG 480)?

0 Kudos
sally45
Just joined
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I do

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It is a known problem on some  ageing SH1s.

Utimately, this needs to be swapped out for a SH2 or Hub 3.

I think your best bet would be to ring them and opt for the thinking of leaving us option. Have a friendly chat to the Retentions Team and see if they will swap it out for a self installation SH2 or Hub 3. I would bear in mind they might try and tie you into a new contract (without telling you), so it would be best to check. Or, you could wait here about a week for a VM Forum Team member to pick the thread up.

In the meantime we could try and improve your wireless connection.

Posting some basic diagnostic info may help.

Navigate to the hub's GUI using http://192.168.100.1
Don't log in, click the Router Status button in the top right of the screen.
Copy \ Paste the Downstream, Upstream, and Network Logs.

Don't worry about the formatting.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

I would also check for other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it. The benefit of the SH2s and Hub 3 is that they can transmit the 2.4Ghz band and 5Ghz band simultaneously.

0 Kudos
sally45
Just joined
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos