Menu
boydenc
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wifi , keeps going off even though it works on my phone

Hi please can someone advise regarding wifi issues?

On both my husbands and my own laptops, wifi suddenly stops working and dont seem to be able to connect even though when we look on the network it is actually working and  also I check and wifi  is working on my phone . How do we sort this as it happens daily 

0 Kudos
wanderey2
Up to speed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi , keeps going off even though it works on my phone

Hi.

As I'm not sure what operating system are you using, I would start looking in Power Options settings on your laptops. It looks like it has got Power Saving feature on, which causes your network cards to disconnect from WiFi to save the battery. If you are using Windows operating system, go to Control Panel, next Power Options. Look for "Wireless Adapter Settings" and set it to "Maximum Performance". Then save the new setting and reboot your laptops to make sure it is stored. Let us know how it goes, and if above doesn't work, we will look somewhere else.

Regards

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Are laptops in different location to the phones?

Do they both fail at the same time? If so could be interference.

Are both laptops the same make? I have read that some Dell laptops with the Killer wifi card have had problems.

You could download a free wifi analyser app to your phone which may help investigate wifi signal strength and show if you have contention with neighbours wifi. Changing channel or band may help?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi boydenc, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see that you have been having trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and it seems your downstream power levels are too high and your modem SNR is too low, which is likely to be the reason why the wireless keeps dropping. 

I would like to get an engineer out to correct this for you. I will pop you a Pm to get this arranged. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos