Whilst using pc, phone and consoles via wifi the connection keeps dropping out. When you are hard wired the internet is fine.. Have done all help that have found here on forum and videos but it hasn't got any better
I have been getting this for months. Usually it Stops and starts for a bit and fixes itself after a day or 2, but this time the wifi has just stopped dead and isn't allowing any comnections to it at all. Using the VM test option says everything is working fine... but it's NOT working fine
Been on here trying to find an email contact, as I don't fancy spending an hour or more on the phone, just to get through to someone who doesn't understand my accent etc.
Every option takes you round in circles until it finally tells you to call 150.
I don't have a physical landline phone I can use to call 150 with, and I'm not wasting money using my mobile, just to end up being on hold forever, and then having a hard time tying to talk to someone in another country. They do their best, and are trying to do their jobs - most of the outsourced customer service people do try their best, but it is no substitute for being able to talk to someone here - as long as they know what they are talking about.
I am just hoping one of the VM team read this - they seem to answer people on here.... sometimes. I think if this thread is kept bumped to the top maybe it is more likely someone will respond, therefore I am hoping it is ok to tag my issue on to the original one, as well as start a new thread - making more chance someone might actually see it and respond.
It seems like such a simple thing I want to do - report a fault. A fault I have put up with on and off for over a year now. It never lasted long enough to be that worried about before now, but now the wifi has gone totally dead for about 2 days now.
I have tried every option I read about - logging in to the actual hub and trying all the various options, and even reset back to factory settings, but still the same. It is definitely still broadcasting, because my devices can see the network and pick up whenever I change the name of it - but nothing is able to actually log in. Nothing has changed in the house and there is no interference from outside either. I am actually wondering if the supposed fix that is being attempted to the broken superhub 2's has broken something with all the other routers. (Mine is an older router)