Menu
Leanne3
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wifi is shocking when upstairs in the house

Have moved the modem and reset it multiple times a day and wifi is just awful. Any recommendations? We are already on the fastest package, thinking about moving to sky because it's been like this for months
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi is shocking when upstairs in the house

This is a very common subject here.

Short of a faulty hub (unlikely), the problem is due to the laws of physics that affect WiFi signal propagation.

The 2.4GHz band will permeate walls/ceilings better than thee 5GHz band, but there can be serious wireless channel contention with your near neighbours, whichis remporarily alleviated by rebooting the hub (which then selects a less congested channel).

The 5GHz band is unlikely to suffer contention, but its range is not high.

Then, of course, it matters whwre you site your hub for optimum propagatio.

You ask for recommendations.  If it's important to you that there should be good WiFi upstairs, the Powerline solution is perfect.  I use it intwo houses.

Another provider's WiFi is susceptoible to the problems you've got because WiFi is WiFi.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Leanne3
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What is the power line?
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You can Google Powerline adapters for a full choice. You plug an adpter into the mains near the hub and use one Ethernet port to go into the adapter.

Upstairs, you plug in another adapter - one with WiFi - and after following setup instructions Wifi is properly extended to upstairs, the signal propagated via the electic mains.

VM sell Netgear models (PLW1000) which I use in one house. In my other house I use Devolo AV1200s.

0 Kudos
Leanne3
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

We've had one before and it hasn't worked. Thanks tho
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Following on from Seph's post (nice to see you still around despite the defrocking) there are some powerline adapter reviews here:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/20-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

Amazon is also a good place to look for reviews.

Another option to improve your wireless is with a third party router.  It is what I and many other customers do and it can make a huge difference.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Leanne3
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Power line we've tried. Doesn't work, we have a router too
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Why doesn't it work? It must work unless your upstairs and downstairs mains are on different fuse boxes &/or distribution boards.

What went wrong? Which model Powerline adapters?

0 Kudos
Leanne3
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I don't know we've tried them that's all I know. The wifi is just shocking in the house I think we might just be going to sky, where all of us can actually connect and not have to resist the modem and router every other day. Thanks for the help
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Why do you think you are going to get better wireless with Sky?, bearing in mind all wireless has to obey the laws of physics, regardless of supplier.

The Sky Hub 2 is shocking, no 5Ghz band and 100Mbps ethernret ports. The Sky Hub Q fairs a little better supporting wireless AC and two Gigabit ethernet ports. Personally, I cannot see it performing significantly better than the VM hubs. If you  are going to switch, go to BT, their hUb is much better than Sky's.

0 Kudos