Menu
Quezzers
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wifi extenders

I have a virgin Hub 3 situated at one end of the house I use wired connections for two main computers and a network drive and the wireless for laptops phones tablets etc. Unfortunately the wifi signal has to pass through two walls at minimum to reach other parts of the house and is either very poor or non existent in the lounge and study. So I am considering an extender connected to my hub by cable and place in the loft above the problem areas (I live in a bungalow) I have two questions about this. What would be the best extender to use for this? I tried a plug in type situated half way between the router and the lounge which hasn't helped. My second question is, is it possible to use my old edimax wireless router as an extender?

Regards Quezzers 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi extenders

hiya @Quezzers with your edimax i would be checking if it support access point mode, this turns the router into a wired access point for the wireless devices, as for buying a new device depends on your budget
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Quezzers
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Paul, I have had a look through the user guide for the Edimax and it doesn't mention using it as an extender so that's out.

I have a cable from my hub that runs up to my loft  so I can connect that to an extender placed above the problem areas, but I can't tell from looking online whether the lan port on some of these is intended as an input from the router/hub or as an output. Ideally I want to have something that can can take the cable input with a reasonable speed output. If possible I don't want to go above £60. Any suggestions as to what I might look at please?

Regards Quezzers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

you could use something like -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Parental-UK-Archer-C58/dp/B01JYT38N8/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=14860... what model of Edimax do you have?
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Quezzers
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul, I've looked at those and it seems to be what I need judging from the reviews. The AC1350 or the ac 750 are nicely within my budget and both about the same price. Are there any advantages with one over the other?

My Edimax is a BR6204Wg

Regards Quezzers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

difference is speed an example:
AC1900 – These routers generally run at 1.3Gbps (1,300Mbps) on the 5GHz AC band with a further 600Mbps on the 2.4Gbps band. So 1,300Mbps + 600Mbps = 1,900Mbps…hence AC1900.

AC1750 – Again, this is a cumulative of the 5 & 2.4GHz bands. In this case, the norm is to once again see 1.3Gbps on the 5GHz but this time with 450Mbps on the 2.4GHz band. Doing the math again… 1,300Mbps + 450Mbps = 1,750Mbps. And yes, you’re right….AC1750!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

reading the manual via -> http://www.edimax.co.uk/edimax/download/download/data/edimax/au/download/for_home/home_legacy_produc... it does have option for access point mode, or to turn it into a access point disable the DHCP/secuirty plug cable into port 1 on the edimax
0 Kudos
Quezzers
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have looked at that manual for the Edimax and am confused about what I would need to do to use it as an access point. Is it as simple as disable  DHCP and connect it to my Virgin hub? or do I need to do more before I connect it? I have a laptop I can connect it to for altering settings is this ok or does it need to be connected to my hub?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

you can change its settings looped via the hub or direct to laptop shouldn't make a difference