Menu
Danielbayles
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Wifi drops out randomly

Hi, the wifi connection drops out fairly regularly on my 'superhub'. I've rung up and got the usual spill, reset it or turn everything off and on again blar blar blar but it only sorts the issue for a short time, sometimes only a few hours if that. It's extremely frustrating when your watching something or in the middle of a game etc. It's definitely the hub as all my family's devices do it at the same time.
What can be done to sort this?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wifi drops out randomly

Set up a BQM

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

The message RCS partial service  indicates you are losing channels from a locked set, wouldnt normally cause a connection drop but likely isnt helping.

All Replies
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It is possible that it could be a faulty hub or it could be related to the power levels.  You may wish to post a screenshot of the power levels shown on your router configuration page (if you are able to login to that and take a screen grab).

It would also be working checking on the 'Service Status' option on your online Virgin Media account.  This will list any known issues affecting your area.  Just in case there is something mentioned that relates to your issue.

If there are no known issues then it would probably require a replacement router and/or an engineer visit to get this resolved.  You may wish to give Virgin Media a call or chat with someone on Live Chat to get this arranged.  Virgin Media staff do respond to messages in this public forum but often take a week or so to reply, so this wouldn't be the quickest way to get a resolution.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Danielbayles wrote:
Hi, the wifi connection drops out fairly regularly on my 'superhub'. I've rung up and got the usual spill, reset it or turn everything off and on again blar blar blar but it only sorts the issue for a short time, sometimes only a few hours if that. It's extremely frustrating when your watching something or in the middle of a game etc. It's definitely the hub as all my family's devices do it at the same time.
What can be done to sort this?

Have you gone through wireless troubleshooting? Selected a clear channel?

That will help a bit- but as Im guessing you have multiple devices connected by WiFi, doing different things at the same time, a decent seperate router would be a good bet.

Either that or offload some bandwidth to wired connections

Danielbayles
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20170316-231522.pngScreenshot_20170316-231535.pngScreenshot_20170316-231541.pngScreenshot_20170316-231550.pngScreenshot_20170316-231557.pngScreenshot_20170316-231612.pngScreenshot_20170316-231618.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Set up a BQM

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

The message RCS partial service  indicates you are losing channels from a locked set, wouldnt normally cause a connection drop but likely isnt helping.

Danielbayles
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I set up a BQM and here's the results. 

I also have been doing some speed checks and the seem low as I'm ment to have a 100mbps service. I realise at peak times that's likely to drop off abit but some of these readings I'd be annoyed with on my old 16mbps package at my previous supplier. 

Screenshot_20170328-222140.pngScreenshot_20170328-232402.png 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Danielbayles,

Apologies for the recent disconnections and slower speeds.

Your BQM shows some odd behaviour between 8pm - 10pm. Is this when the disconnects are evident or are these happening at other times of the day?

If the former then would you please perform a traceroute (to bbc.co.uk will be fine) during those hours and post the output on here?

Thank you.

If, however, the disconnections are occurring at other times of day, and seem unrelated to your BQM results, then please try a wired connection to see whether or not it's just WiFi that's impacted. And please also try a factory reset of your Hub.

Keep us posted on what happens, thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Danielbayles
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello Jen,
It is definitely happening in the evenings still and was during the day too but that has improved since changing the channel to a clearer one.
I will do a factory reset and then a traceroute tonight and post the results.
0 Kudos
Danielbayles
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I done a factory reset and it was fine for that evening but has happened tonight a few times.
I can't do a trace test at the moment as I don't have a pc or laptop. Unless there another way?
0 Kudos
Danielbayles
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Although it does seem the connection speeds are better today. About 60-70mbps.
0 Kudos