Menu
Foo_addict
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wifi dropping out

Hi there,

Ive had my superhub 2 for over two years and have never had a problem. As always, when I go on holiday I turn everything off at the wall, including the super hub. Upon my return two weeks ago I turned the hub back on but ever since both wifi channels drop out almost on a daily basis. Upon restarting the hub the wifi works perfectly for anything between 24-36hours. The wired connection remains perfect throughout these troubles. I can only presume the hub is on its way out. Is there anything I can do to remedy

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wifi dropping out

This page shows you how to enable the wifi scanner in ios 8

Without scanning your wireless environment with a Spectrum Analyser it is impossible to rule out wireless interference as you never know what sources of wireless interference are in range of your hub. It would be worth changing channels though, expecially  the lower channels, as I have seen a few problems with some devices on the higher channels.

The reboot of the hub forces the device to request a new local  IP address from the hub and will establish a new connection to the wireless network. So, any problem with the existing wireless connection will be forgotten as a new connection will be made.

It is possible the wireless radios are failing, but I would perform a Factory Reset on the hub to rule out any firmware glitches.

A Forum Team member should pick up the thread in a few days time and will take a closer look at the problem.

0 Kudos

All Replies
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It might be worth changing your wifi channels, it could be possible that say someone has had the internet installed or had a new router that could be causing you interference, it sure would be worth a try, see if you can scan the channels in operation in your area and chose ones that are free, I would elimate that option before pushing forward on a hardware problem
0 Kudos
Foo_addict
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a pic with a wifi adapter so cannot scan my local channels. But surely if another hub was using the same channel as mine it wouldn't work upon a restart? It's set to auto currently, should I just pick a random channel? Can anyone from Virgin offer a solution?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You will need to download a WiFi scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFi analyser for Android to get a picture of what other Wifi networks are around you. Bear in mind the wifi scanner will not show interference from household appliances like A\V Streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TV's, Security systems etc.

Bear in mind the wireless channels overlap on the 2.4Ghz band and only channels 1, 6 and 11 do not overlap (sort of). Overlapping channels will cause disruption to your wifi signal, with devices using the same channel will just slow the connection down as built in  co channel cooperation software will allow several devices use the same wireless channel without interference by backing off transmission.

It is worth checking that the wireless radio on the hub is set to use only one wireless channel (upto 144Mbps mode) as using two channels on the 2.4Ghz band takes up over half of the avaiable spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference.

The positioning of the hub is important, you should try and place it in a central position away from obstacles and electrical devices that could interfer with wireless reception.

The auto channel feature will just sense networks on the same channel and does not take into account overlapping channels which do more damage, so, in some circumstances the auto channel feature will not work very well.

Using the wider. often less congested 5Ghz band might help if your wireless clients support it.

As you see, wireless is affected by factors outside VM's control, so as long as you are getting headline speed through the wire, there is not a lot they can do.

0 Kudos
Foo_addict
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. However, as stated earlier, my PC does not have a wifi adapter. This means I cannot scan the local channels. Only my phone (iPhone/iPad) have wifi adapters, is there an option for ios users?

The positioning of the hub has not changed in the last 2 years when it has been operating perfectly. If anything, we have less electronical interference now than when it was first installed, due to the baby growing up etc... We have had no new devices installed, it simply started doing this after it was turned off for 5 days whilst on holiday. I therefore cannot see that positioning/inside interference is an issue.

Although both channels cease, we only connect to the 5Ghz channel with our phones/ipad. So interference with the 2.4Ghz in this case is moot. 

Wifi is a big part of our day to day use, as I type this the signal has again dropped out, yet the wired connection remains. It makes for 75% of our usage i'm sure so it not functioning is a major fail for VM. Is device fatigue with the superhub not an option?

Also, why does the connection work again upon a restart of the hub? Does the channel refresh upon restart? There is no pattern to the drop outs, it seems completely random.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This page shows you how to enable the wifi scanner in ios 8

Without scanning your wireless environment with a Spectrum Analyser it is impossible to rule out wireless interference as you never know what sources of wireless interference are in range of your hub. It would be worth changing channels though, expecially  the lower channels, as I have seen a few problems with some devices on the higher channels.

The reboot of the hub forces the device to request a new local  IP address from the hub and will establish a new connection to the wireless network. So, any problem with the existing wireless connection will be forgotten as a new connection will be made.

It is possible the wireless radios are failing, but I would perform a Factory Reset on the hub to rule out any firmware glitches.

A Forum Team member should pick up the thread in a few days time and will take a closer look at the problem.

0 Kudos
Foo_addict
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou again,

I have downloaded the app and scanned the channels with no conflicts, however I'll do the same next time the wifi drops out.

Adam

0 Kudos