Menu
chavelock
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wifi disconnects after 15 min of streaming

Hi

I have 2 samsung tv's that stream films and music from 1) imac and 2) WD media box.

I have a version 3 router at 200mb.

Now when trying to watch a film from either the imac or western digital media box

after 15 to 20 min the wifi disconnects and you have to reconnect.

This happens on both Samsung tv's on both 2.4 and 5ghz I've tried changing settings and it still happens.

help please.

Shahin007
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi disconnects after 15 min of streaming

I'm having similar issues with the Macbooks at our home, it disconnects at similar times and we have to disconnect wifi and reconnect to get it back working.

I have a Macbook Air on the latest Sierra OS, and also a Macbook Pro on El Capitan OS.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wireless could be better if not from the hub but from your own router.

0 Kudos
Shahin007
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What??
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

what legacy1 is saying is to get your own router, and this is sound advice you will have a much improved experience if you buy your own router, more customisable, more stability, improved throughput over the network the benefits go on and on
0 Kudos
Shahin007
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can you recommend one for a 100mb speed? Probably move up to 200mb later this year too.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

chavelock wrote:

Hi

I have 2 samsung tv's that stream films and music from 1) imac and 2) WD media box.

I have a version 3 router at 200mb.

Now when trying to watch a film from either the imac or western digital media box

after 15 to 20 min the wifi disconnects and you have to reconnect.

This happens on both Samsung tv's on both 2.4 and 5ghz I've tried changing settings and it still happens.

help please.

I doubt that anycone can come up with anything useful in the absence of further information.

1. The iMac and WD Media Box:  Are they streaming to the TV(s) via the Hub 3 WiFi? If so, how are they connected to the Hub 3 - wired or wireless?
  2. The TVs: Presumably they connect wirelessly to the Hub.  Right? Or are the streaming devices connected by WiFi directly to the TV(s) and not via the Hub 3?
  3. Where are the various devices in the dependent WiFi chain located in respect of each other?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
chavelock
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

1. The iMac and WD Media Box:  Are they streaming to the TV(s) via the Hub 3 WiFi? If so, how are they connected to the Hub 3 - wired or wireless?
  2. The TVs: Presumably they connect wirelessly to the Hub.  Right? Or are the streaming devices connected by WiFi directly to the TV(s) and not via the Hub 3?
  3. Where are the various devices in the dependent WiFi chain located in respect of each other.

Both tv's stream via wifi  through hub 3,

The imac also streams on wifi via hub 3

The WD box is lan connected to the hub 3.

but it doesn't matter how your connected anything that wants to stream through the hub3 disconnects after 15, 20 min

Has for the devices and far away they are from the hub 3 well the imac is 8 ft away the wd box is 1 ft away the tv is 5 ft away and the second tv is on the second floor around 20 ft away.

I must also say that then tv used to be connected via lan and it had the same issues with the router.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have I missed something? Is, for example, the WD box connected to the TV via an HDMI cable? It's what I would have expected. In that case wireless wouldn't be relevant. Which WD Box do you have?

I'm trying to get the complete connectivity picture. I realise that you have the problem with both scenarios, but I really do need to understand the connectivity. If the WD is using Ethernet to get its streaming data, and the Hub 3 is streaming that to the TV, then the WD box must be sending the data back down to the Hub 3 for transmission to the TV.

ARe there any other oddities in system behaviour? When the WiFi disconnects, does wired stuff still work?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos