Menu
RebeccaRoffey
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi cuts out every 20 mins - Router or Service problem?

Hi Gang,

I'm on the Fiber70 package and for someone reason, any time of the day or night, the internet just drops out for anywhere between 10 - 30 seconds, then comes back up.  Is this a common service issue or could this be an equipment problem, i.e. should I replace my virgin router?

Thanks so much for your time, any advice gratefully received.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi cuts out every 20 mins - Router or Service problem?

It could be a service issue, or a wireless issue.

To check for a service issue, it would be best to test with a device connected directly to the hub, if a wired device drops out, then it is a service issue. You should notice a change in the hub's lights behaviour during the dropouts.

If wired devices do not drop connection it then looks like a wireless problem.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.

Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

ADAMPOKE111
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I am getting the same problem, except it drops permanently and doesn't come back until a full reboot is done. Affects all devices.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi RebeccaRoffey,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having WiFi trouble.

I've run a diagnostic on your Superhub and I can see that it hasn't been rebooted for quite a while' I've sent a signal to reboot the equipment and clear the logs. Can you retest if to see if you're still experiencing the same issues?

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ianrobo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have just posted to this thread on exactly the same problem and I think looking around the web many having the same issues.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Having-to-Reboot-SHub2-frequently-somet...

I have no problem ringing support but this is I think a software fault with the latest version.

Can anyone from support confirm this ?

0 Kudos