0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wifi connection

Wireless is affected by many factors like range. client hardware, the topography of your home, and wireless interference.

The combination of these factors form your wireless environment which will be unique to you.

With this in mind it is hard to provide specific advise from the remote location of a Forum, where we have no idea on your wireless environment.

I would bear in mind that wireless is not as efficient propagating in the vertical direction as it is horizontally and can be affected by interference from nearby wifi networks and domestic appliances like A\V Streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs Security Cameras etc.

So, first of all I would try positioning the hub in an open, central location away from electrical devices as possible.

I would then download a WiFi scanner like InSSIDer or WIFi Analyser for Android and check for interference from neighbouring WiFi networks, so you can optimise your wireless signal, bearing in mind that WiFi scanners will not show interference from the domestic appliances I outlined earlier. This will allow you to select the best wireless channel for your wireless enviroment at that time.

Using the 5Ghz band if your daughter's device supports it might help as it is less prone to interference, but it has a lesser range and is less efficient at penetrating obstacles such as walls, ceilings, carpets etc.

If you have optimised your wireless signal and you are still getting a poor signal, then powerline adapters are fairly good at providing wireless in hard to reach places,

I hope this advise is a  bit more useful than the Smart Alec comments above.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

becuase.....

The answer above has as much detail as the question had Smiley Happy

Wifi can be blocked by many things such as type of walls. Water tanks or fish tanks or interferance.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Wireless is affected by many factors like range. client hardware, the topography of your home, and wireless interference.

The combination of these factors form your wireless environment which will be unique to you.

With this in mind it is hard to provide specific advise from the remote location of a Forum, where we have no idea on your wireless environment.

I would bear in mind that wireless is not as efficient propagating in the vertical direction as it is horizontally and can be affected by interference from nearby wifi networks and domestic appliances like A\V Streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs Security Cameras etc.

So, first of all I would try positioning the hub in an open, central location away from electrical devices as possible.

I would then download a WiFi scanner like InSSIDer or WIFi Analyser for Android and check for interference from neighbouring WiFi networks, so you can optimise your wireless signal, bearing in mind that WiFi scanners will not show interference from the domestic appliances I outlined earlier. This will allow you to select the best wireless channel for your wireless enviroment at that time.

Using the 5Ghz band if your daughter's device supports it might help as it is less prone to interference, but it has a lesser range and is less efficient at penetrating obstacles such as walls, ceilings, carpets etc.

If you have optimised your wireless signal and you are still getting a poor signal, then powerline adapters are fairly good at providing wireless in hard to reach places,

I hope this advise is a  bit more useful than the Smart Alec comments above.