Menu
davida10
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wifi boosters

Last week my broadband was working, but my wifi was not (tablets, etc. connecting to the signal but no internet connection.

Virgin managed to reset the wifi however:

1)  it is painfully slow.

2) my wifi booster - a TPLink 300 now does not boost the signal, in fact quite the opposite. It blocks the signal.

Today has been a real challenge to connect with anyone at Virgin for advice, so does anyone know:

a) how to increase wireless speed.

b) whether my TP Link will work with Virgin wifi (I have done the resets with WPS.)

Thanks

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi boosters

As far as I can tell a tplink N300 is effectively a wifi repeater, and they can make your wifi worse as some just rebroadcast on the same channel.

Assuming you can't create another wifi access point using an Ethernet cable and an old router or something

go for one of the powerline wifi range extenders as they will do a much better job.

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Powerline extender / access point works well for me.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi davida10, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side. 

It may help to take a look at Getting the best WiFi Signal, specifically - 'WiFi Win #5 - Get rid of blackspots'. 

Let us know how you get on Smiley Happy

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos