Menu
noelebob
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Wifi and TP-Link Wifi Extender

In order to get wifi in the summer house I have to use a TP-Link Wifi Extender (WA850RE), plugged in towards the rear of the house which works (just) in the summer house but messes up with the internet, both wifi and homeplug wired throughout the rest of the house. After using wifi in the summer house I unplug the extender and have to reset the homeplug to my main computer (iMac). Is there a setting or something I am missing?

Thanks in anticipation

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi & TP-Link Wifi Extender

hiya @noelebob welcome to the virginmedia community forum, what happens if you dont reset the homeplug, also to check is the wifi extender, also to check is the extender wired into a homeplug
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
noelebob
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Paultechy

If I don't reset the homeplug attached to my main computer it won't connect to the wifi.

The extender is standalone, just plugged into a socket.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Can we get onto an even keel here?

As I understand the TP-Link spec, the WA850RE is merely a WiFi relay system that has nothing to do with any Homeplug (powerline). Is the WA850RE relaying the main router (VM hub) wireless signal or something else?

The Homeplug. What's that doing and how many do you have? Can you please completely describe your network topology?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
noelebob
Tuning in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I use the homeplug attached to my main computer in order to get an ethernet connection (wifi isnt fast enough). I have a homeplug connected via ethernet to the superhub upstairs, my main computer is downstairs connected to a homeplug, I also have another homeplug which I have video game consoles attached to downstairs.

The TP-Link wifi range extender is purely to increase the wifi range (from the superhub) so that I can get wifi in the summer house at the back of the garden, this is plugged in toward the rear of the house downstairs.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Is the Homeplug for your main computer WiFi capable? If so, then there might be an issue (that I'd have to think through) there.

I can also imagine when you switch of the Extender, there could be a glitch on the mains that disrupts the Homeplug. It shouldn't but Homeplugs are very sensitive to mains noise/glitches.

If you don't switch off the Externder, does it all continue working?

Finally, you'll might have a spur for electricity to the Summer House. Yes? If so, why not just put a WiFi capable Homeplug into the Summer House?

0 Kudos
noelebob
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I don't think the homeplug is wifi capable, its a Devolo DLAN 500 duo.

Whether I leave the extender plugged in or not the same problem persists.

With regards to using homeplugs in the summer house, this was going to be my next query if I couldn't sort the extender query out. I have tried to use another Devolo homeplug with ethernet connection in the summer house but it is very hit and miss, mostly miss (maybe the run from the house is too long at approx 30metres)

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The Extender is bad news, IMO. It relays a bad signal from the Superhub to somewhere and is half-duplex for that reason; this means slow speeds on top of the last gasp of relay you've achieved.

The above said, Homeplugs are also half-duplex; i.e. only one device can be sending at any time. There is a CDMA (collision detection) protocol that manages this. But much better than Extenders - usually.

A Devolo 500 WiFi Adapter will do the trick. These devices will run up on 300 metres - or at least are certified as such. Noise on the circuit is the potential killer. If you still have the Devolo Ethernet adapter (which should but needn't be a 500 model), plug it in again and use the Devolo Cockpit to ascertain and tell us the sync speed that the Cockpit reports.

The other thing you could do is to put the Devolo 500 WiFi where the Extender is and see if that works better.

0 Kudos
noelebob
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help.

I have just been reading up about wifi point to point links which I might do a bit more homework on.

0 Kudos
andrew1701
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi all noted, try this use a TP router as a repeater. the Archer C20i can scan for networks in WPS mode find your WiFi and then it will route it out of the back on a LAN cable as well as rebroadcast it.

I do the same in my garden room I have one TP link facing my house 50 yards away, and it has 4 lan sockets at the back, so I can get a desktop PC, test equipment in fact anything LAN enabled.

You can also set the TP router to be dual band wireless give them different names, so you know what you are logging on to and you are up an running. You can also connect wireless to the the repeater router, should you wish to do so.

One tip, see what other wireless networks are around, and note there channel numbers, you might see 3 on CH1 4 or CH 11 or 5 on CH 6, set your virgin router channel to an unused channel. I have noticed most witless  routers default to American setting and you will see CH 13 is not there, set you region to UK and Ch 13 will become available. This way you will get less interference form surrounding wi-fi's. If you use the 5.7GHz band you may well be interference free, Ofcom are also looking into freeing up more channels on the 5.7GHz. It is more line of sight, but if you virgin router is on an upstairs window in view of the garden room/ Summer House, you will get a solid connection, I get full 300MB/s.

The through the mains LAN units caused interference to neighbours, wiping out DAB/VHF and short wave reception, so not advised, many are not compliment, my neighbours was ordered to be shut down my Ofcom when I complained!!!

BR

Andrew

Below is a snap shot of a status page on my router/repeater

router screen shot.png

0 Kudos