Menu
recymech
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Hub 3

Hi everyone, does anyone know if there is an idiots guide on here of how to set up my hub3 in modem mode and then use my Netgear Nighthawk D7000 as my router? It's purely to get hopefully  better wifi as the hub3 is very limited.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wifi Hub 3

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

Did you manage to put the hub into modem mode and connect the ASUS.? The Asus will need to be set up for dynamic or DHCP WAN Ip first and you will need to power cycle the hub and ASUS by turning both off and powering up the hub and let it connect to the internet and then powering up the ASUS.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub / router is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

It would be useful to do a surbey around your home noting wireless signal strengths at various locations. You are basically looking for a signal strength of -67dBm or better for decent wireless performance. There might be areas in your home where this is not achievable due to obstacles and the topography of your home. In this case you will need to extend the wireless network with powerline adapters or additional access points wired back to the hub.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it, albeit with a shorter range.

0 Kudos

All Replies
recymech
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If (and I doubt it) nobody has done this before, what other tips or tricks are there to get WiFi back around the house like I used to get with my TalkTalk package?

I have devolo plug ins, and was even contemplating having to get the very expensive LINKSYS Velop Whole Home WiFi System unless some one has better advice they could share.

Again many thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

Did you manage to put the hub into modem mode and connect the ASUS.? The Asus will need to be set up for dynamic or DHCP WAN Ip first and you will need to power cycle the hub and ASUS by turning both off and powering up the hub and let it connect to the internet and then powering up the ASUS.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub / router is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

It would be useful to do a surbey around your home noting wireless signal strengths at various locations. You are basically looking for a signal strength of -67dBm or better for decent wireless performance. There might be areas in your home where this is not achievable due to obstacles and the topography of your home. In this case you will need to extend the wireless network with powerline adapters or additional access points wired back to the hub.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it, albeit with a shorter range.

0 Kudos
recymech
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi griffin

Many thanks for your reply. I did manage to put the Hub into modem mode, but even though my Netgear router showed up, I just got connected no internet coming up? I cannot move the Hub anywhere else as the guy who fitted it put the shortest length of cable possible, so unless I can get a new cable from somewhere (I haven't tried yet) I'm afraid that's it. It is in the hallway towards the front of my house with a fairly decent line of sight through the rest of the house, and away from anything else electrical. I will also look at downloading a scanner to see what networks and channels my neighbours are on. Sat in my living room we are getting up to around 80mbps, although it may go down as low as 40 at times. When I go to the back of the house, it just cannot connect, so i'll have a play around with the scanner and see if I can change channels to good effect. Otherwise I will try figuring out putting the Hub back into modem mode and using my Netgear D7000 router.

Once again, many thanks

0 Kudos