Menu
Highlighted
mabrown
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Hijacking

Hi can someone please advise me how to make my wifi super secure.  My wifi is being hijacked by someone accessing it via the wifi share option.  You have disabled this but they are still accessing it via hotspot and has even got into my mobile devices and seem to running a small server from my hardware.  I am on verge of leaving Virgin.  Please advise

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wifi Hijacking

Use modem mode and your own router

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Here are the two lowest I recommend.

TP-Link AC750

D-Link DIR-842 Wireless AC1200

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

First of all what do you mean by hijacked by using the WiFi share option? If you mean the VM Hotspot, then this is impossible, as all it has in common with your wireless connection is that is it shares a  wireless radio. It is a completely seperate network with  a different passphrase and a completely different authentication system.

I take it you are using WPA2 with AES wireless encryption, this is the strongest encryption and can be only be cracked by brute force.

The key to wireless security is the strength of the password used. Using the maximum 10 characters on the hub, using a mixture of uppercase, lowercase and numerics will give very roughly 800 quadrillion permutations. Trying to crack the password trying 2000 guesses per second could take several millennia to crack.

It is important not to use common words or names in the password as this makes the password easier to crack using dictonary lists. e.g. mary1234 is a weak password, y1R2A3m4 would be a strong password.

If the phone has been hacked then it could be through several methods. Via bluetooth exploitations of through trojans from malicous sites. If the mobile has been hacked I would get some antivirus software for it or set the phone back to factory defaults to clear any malware. I would run antivirus software on all machine connected to your network such as Malawarebytes  unfortunately there is no free version available now but you still get a 14 day free trial

Putting the hub into modem mode and getting your own router will increase security only by virtue of letting you use a longer password than the hub  up to 63 characters giving you godknowshowmanygazillion permutations that will take to the end of time to crack

0 Kudos
Dominatez
Up to speed
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You are very vague about the running a server on your hardware !! What hardare are we referring to ? Your PC ? Your mobile ?

I doubt it is the router as i have seen no exploits in the wild for the hub3 yet, so i will say that your Pc or mobile has been hijacked by something that you have recently downloaded or visited.

As for the mobile, malwarebytes is good, but download the free version of Kaspersky from the play store which will get rid of any malware on your phone. You can always download malwarebytes free version which is just as good or you get a free 30 day premium trial.

For your PC, grab a copy of www.totalav.com which is free and is being reviewed quite highly.

There are also the online versions you can look at like housecall and virustotal.

Did you sign up to the Virgin Media Opt in to Virgin Media WiFi. You'll be able to access WiFi in loads of new places on the move, and your Hub will be part of the WiFi hotspot network. ??

And as was stated, try making your password something you will remember but not easy for brute forcers or dictionary crackers to have a go at.

Try a password like M4br0wN instead of mabrown or even !M4br0wN# which will take literally a long time to crack. The longer the password, the longer the time to crack.

All Replies
RobertRyan91
Dialled in
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You tried changing the passwords and pass codes on your router?
0 Kudos
mabrown
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes they are still getting in somehow. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Use modem mode and your own router

0 Kudos
mabrown
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks...I'll try that.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

mabrown wrote:
Thanks...I'll try that.

What router are you thinking of getting? check before you buy

0 Kudos
mabrown
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I have no idea. Can you recommend something..money is scarce.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Here are the two lowest I recommend.

TP-Link AC750

D-Link DIR-842 Wireless AC1200

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

First of all what do you mean by hijacked by using the WiFi share option? If you mean the VM Hotspot, then this is impossible, as all it has in common with your wireless connection is that is it shares a  wireless radio. It is a completely seperate network with  a different passphrase and a completely different authentication system.

I take it you are using WPA2 with AES wireless encryption, this is the strongest encryption and can be only be cracked by brute force.

The key to wireless security is the strength of the password used. Using the maximum 10 characters on the hub, using a mixture of uppercase, lowercase and numerics will give very roughly 800 quadrillion permutations. Trying to crack the password trying 2000 guesses per second could take several millennia to crack.

It is important not to use common words or names in the password as this makes the password easier to crack using dictonary lists. e.g. mary1234 is a weak password, y1R2A3m4 would be a strong password.

If the phone has been hacked then it could be through several methods. Via bluetooth exploitations of through trojans from malicous sites. If the mobile has been hacked I would get some antivirus software for it or set the phone back to factory defaults to clear any malware. I would run antivirus software on all machine connected to your network such as Malawarebytes  unfortunately there is no free version available now but you still get a 14 day free trial

Putting the hub into modem mode and getting your own router will increase security only by virtue of letting you use a longer password than the hub  up to 63 characters giving you godknowshowmanygazillion permutations that will take to the end of time to crack

0 Kudos
Dominatez
Up to speed
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You are very vague about the running a server on your hardware !! What hardare are we referring to ? Your PC ? Your mobile ?

I doubt it is the router as i have seen no exploits in the wild for the hub3 yet, so i will say that your Pc or mobile has been hijacked by something that you have recently downloaded or visited.

As for the mobile, malwarebytes is good, but download the free version of Kaspersky from the play store which will get rid of any malware on your phone. You can always download malwarebytes free version which is just as good or you get a free 30 day premium trial.

For your PC, grab a copy of www.totalav.com which is free and is being reviewed quite highly.

There are also the online versions you can look at like housecall and virustotal.

Did you sign up to the Virgin Media Opt in to Virgin Media WiFi. You'll be able to access WiFi in loads of new places on the move, and your Hub will be part of the WiFi hotspot network. ??

And as was stated, try making your password something you will remember but not easy for brute forcers or dictionary crackers to have a go at.

Try a password like M4br0wN instead of mabrown or even !M4br0wN# which will take literally a long time to crack. The longer the password, the longer the time to crack.