Wifi Extenders

Anyone recommend a wifi extender?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi Extenders

well depends on what sort of range you want to reach, and how many walls are in the way.. best idea would be to buy a 3rd party router something like a asus rt68u series, not cheap but well worth it covers a massive range compared to the hub, and has all the features you would ever want.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Its better to not extend then run as a access point.

fionamarie
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

not very technically talented, so how would I do that?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

since extenders take a wifi signal and re-send it, but this can slash the wifi speed in half, with an access point this is wired into the hub, and put into area of black spot where the wifi is poor. i would just make sure the access points says AC
could look at e.g. -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-EA-AC87-Gigabit-Detachable-Antenna/dp/B013JGDZTO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&q...

or something smaller -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IOHWLU2?psc=1 

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
fionamarie
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not sure now what to go with Smiley Sad wifi extender or Access point.

My daughter is living in a room in a pub, the main accomodation has wifi but she cannot get it in her room, what would be best? It is only for a short time, then I would use it in our 4 bedroom home so that we can access the wifi better.
0 Kudos
fionamarie
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Do I need a wifi booster, extender or router? whats the difference? I'm not very techie minded so need help, hoping to get sorted by tomorrow night.

TIA x

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

in its most basic form, routers get you onto the internet, acess points/extenders are extra things you can attach to the router to increase range/ports.
0 Kudos