Menu
moynesyt5
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Extenders

Hi All

I have just had Virgin Broadband installed today and contrary to what the installing guys sais, my broadband is weak in parts of the house, very weak.

So I purchased a BT wifi range extender but I could not make that connect to the router. So I went to exchange that for a Netgear AC1200 and again I can't get it to connect. Is there a certain make to purchase or what am I doing wrong?

I'm not best pleased that the location of the router doesn't cover the house when the engineers said it would! I didn't expect to have to buy a wifi ranger extender today.....that doesn't work!

Not impressed so far to be honest. I get 100meg speed next to the router but move to another room and that is down to 20meg and then near non excitant in another room.

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi Extenders

Hi Dave,

Range extenders are really a waste of time.  What you need are Powerline Adaptors with Wi-Fi which use your mains wiring to convey the signal to another location and create a new access point.  I've used Devolo and found them to be excellent ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-Powerline-Starter-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00OZDO8RE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How are you trying to set up the range extender?

Are you using WPS? This would be the easiest method. Instructions here

Can your devices see the xxxx_EXT network?

I can agree with Dave regarding the effectiveness of wireless repeaters as they need a good signal to relay and they will halve the speed due to the half duplex nature of wireless. However, with careful placement they can offer some benefit.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ditto to what @Dave_cq said and here is a link to a review of powerline adapters that might help:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/20-best-powerline-adapters-2016-2017-uk-3490638/

Also have a look at the advice on getting better wireless posted on the forum HEREHERE these posts have tips and suggestions that can might improve things without buying additional kit.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
moynesyt5
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply, that seems the best way forward. I have got the wifi range extender working now, as I had to connect itto my laptop and then register etc, but as you say it is still poor considering what you are paying for from Virgin!

I will try the powerline adapters. Do they interfere with the cables at all? Or do they work fine?

Thanks Dave

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

moynesyt5 wrote:

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply, that seems the best way forward. I have got the wifi range extender working now, as I had to connect itto my laptop and then register etc, but as you say it is still poor considering what you are paying for from Virgin!

I will try the powerline adapters. Do they interfere with the cables at all? Or do they work fine?

Thanks Dave

Never experienced any interference problems.  So long as your house wiring is sound they should work a treat and the good thing about them is you can always add extra slave units in other rooms should that prove necessary.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to add my tuppence worth, if I ,ay. WiFi Range Extenders are indeed a waste of time as they depend on your house being WiFi friendly, which it appears not to be plus they work in a half-duplex (relay) mode.

The VM techs know nothing about your walls, floors and so on and thus cannot give you any indication as to how WiFi might perform in your house. Added to that, it depends where in your room the Hub is placed.

Powerline adapters are the way to go; I have them in two houses and am very satisfied.

Keep us posted.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

moynesyt5
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi All

I did purchase some Devolo power line adaptors and they are working great with excellent speed and covering the whole house.

Thanks for all you help and advice which was exactly what I needed.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Glad you're sorted.

A few years ago, I hung the SH from a lamp in the middle of the room to see if it propagated better through the house. It did! Of course nobody would be coax wired like that and not get clobbered by the wife or husband or partner or whatever PC word I should be using.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos