Menu
bradleycotier
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WiFi router needs rebooting on average every day to restore both wired and wireless internet

Hi

I am finding that I lose the internet connection to the house on average once a day, both wired and wireless. I've had numerous support calls which involved switching channels, rebooting and 'running diagnostics'. However, despite the assurances of the telephone operator each time, the solution is shortlived.

Therefore, I am now in the position where I have to reboot the router once a day, once I realise the current device I am using has no connection.

This is extremely frustrating and the level of service does not warrant the amount of money I pay to VM each month. OK, I've had my broadband speed updated (with a price hike soon after. Don't think I didn't notice) but that is of little use to me if the connection does not work at all.

I'm emailing this forum because I am done with the support line. Hopefully I can get an answer here but if not, I will have to reconsider my loyalty to VM. BT are looking at bit better these days.

For information I am using the Netgear Superhub 2ac VMDG490 router.

Any ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Brad

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi router needs rebooting on average every day

BT may only be better if you are within 250/300 metres of their FTTC box AND your cable back to their green box is not aluminium.  Their support is as bad as VM's.

The VM bods take about a week to get to a thread so a bit of triage might be helpful in advance of their assistance.

Kindly post your modem stats by going to 192.168.0.1, clicking ROUTER STATUS; then copy/past the DOWNSTREAM, UPSTREAM power levels and the network log.

It might yield something reasonably obvious to the technical eye.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
bradleycotier
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Seph

Here are the power levels:

Untitled.png

And here is the network log:

Untitled.png

Many thanks

Brad

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the stats. Well, they are OK. The only data not showing in those stats, and which can only be read from the VM end, is noise on the upstream channels. I see that the upstream power, though safely within the recommended thresholds, is on the highish side - meaning that at those high upstream frequencies morre power is required to push the data upstream.

One way of checking upstream noise is to set up the Thinkbroadband BQM. Red blobs at the top of the graph could indicate noise as it represents lost ping packets.

The above said, if the circuit is dropping, I would have expected clues from the network log, like T4 events. They are not present. I take it that your Superhub is not a VMDG480 (Superhub 1) - if it is, anything can happen with that lame old device.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi bradleycotier,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to read that you are experiencing issues with your broadband connection.

When I checked your connection, the Super Hub was showing as offline and not polling any data. Are you currently experiencing loss of service, was the router re-booted or just turned off as not in use? If you can let me know when you are back online I can check your line in more detail.

Did you create a Broadband Quality Monitor by any chance as mentioned by Sephiroth? 

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos