Menu
Jrcc73
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

WiFi problem

Hi can someone please tell me why our connection keeps dropping out. We have super speed but every day we have to reset the modem because it just drops out the kids get mad because they're usually playing a game and suddenly lose connection. I'm a bit technophobic so please explain in simple terms if you you have any answers!! TIA
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi problem

Hi Jrcc73,

Thanks for the post! I am sorry to hear that your connection keeps dropping out, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary! No errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs, and all of your power levels are within the preferred ranges.

Are you still having these issues? If so, how are you connected wired or wireless?

Have you tried changing the wireless channels to see if this helps performance?

Also, here's some tips on getting the best  wireless network signal.

Could you please connect directly to the Hub via ethernet cable and monitor to see if the disconnects occur when connected in this way.

I look forward to your response, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Jrcc73
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam
We notice it in the evenings mostly. My one son connects to xbox and other son to pc in their bedrooms upstairs both via tplink as they get no WiFi at all in their bedrooms. Ithe happens at least a couple of times a night. They have to go downstairs and reset the modem to re connect. The IT people at my work suggested tplink after I told them they get no WiFi in their bedrooms. I spoke to someone at virgin at least a year ago maybe 2 to say we had terrible connection probs in other areas of the house and I asked if I need some kind of extra box or something but they said no hence I spoke with IT at work.
The kids get so annoyed with it.
Please can you advise?
TIA
Jen.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen, 

Thanks for the reply.

I have re-tested again and everything still looks great!

Have tried changing the wireless channels?

Here's some useful tips on getting the best wireless networking signal.

Also you can try a factory reset  to see if that makes a difference.

Please respond to me here and let me know how you get on.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Jrcc73
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Adam!

I'd be interested in knowing what sort of time you're testing. We notice it's particularly bad every evening and weekends when we are all here. (It's half term at mo and my elder 2 who have the problem are away this week) maybe if you could try checking one evening ( after 8.30 on a mon, Tues or Thurs would be best from next week) then we'll all be using the equipment.

Thanks

Jen.
0 Kudos
Jrcc73
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry meant to ask what hub do I have please? How do I change wireless channels?
How do I do factory rest please and will it lose all our recordings etc?
Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Jrcc73, 

Thanks for coming back to us regarding this. 

Sorry to hear about the connection fault experienced. :/ 

I've had a look into this and I've not been able to detect any issues via the equipment levels or network segment. 

If utilising a wireless connection, I definitely recommend following Adam's advice with changing the settings for this. 

We're unable to confirm account specifics without passing data protection. I've therefore sent you a private message so that we can chat about this some more. 

Speak soon, 

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Jrcc73
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Nat but as I've said before this problem usually only happens when my 2 kids are on the pc/ xbox etc so in the evenings and weekends not whilst they're at school like you've been checking. It was terrible on Saturday afternoon. Took about 3 hours for my eldest to get WiFi. Ridiculous yet I pay loads for my package. For I have an old box or modem or something? Is it because I have an original box on the wall where the cable comes in to the house? I have queried it on the phone ages ago and got fobbed off. All I want is for my kids WiFi to work upstairs in their bedrooms. We have a normal sized 3 bed house no castle so surely it should not drop out all the time? I'm going to start making a log of all the times it does it from now as it's so frustrating and no one seems to be able to sort it.
Jen.
0 Kudos
Jacevoor77
Up to speed
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There just send someone out to replace the hub every time only way to get good internet and wifi is to bite the bullet and get a 3rd party router and use that. I never look back at a not so superhub again
0 Kudos
Jrcc73
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hiya
Thanks.
We have tp links set up. Are these classed as 3rd party routers?
Jen.
0 Kudos