Menu
chrisnewton
Tuning in
Message 51 of 606
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

Its frustrating that we are posting this on THEIR own forum and they have not even aknowleged that they are looking into this issue.

0 Kudos
moopet
Tuning in
Message 52 of 606
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

I've just called and their tests identified "some problems" and they'll send me an engineer next week. 

0 Kudos
Slim01
Tuning in
Message 53 of 606
Flag for a moderator

did you have to call the normal customer service number (0345 454 1111) and go through the painful 1/2 hr of questions, or were you able to speak directly to tech support? if so, do you have a direct number?
0 Kudos
moopet
Tuning in
Message 54 of 606
Flag for a moderator

I went through the questions, but when it asked for my password I just mashed zero and spoke to a human.
0 Kudos
impatient
Dialled in
Message 55 of 606
Flag for a moderator

griffin wrote:

As I said wireless dropouts are a common problem, I see about 5 people that exhibit symptoms of the WiFi not broadcasting broadcasting.

The OP is interesting, where it is states either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz light goes out. If the wireless connection drops due to interference. the router will stop brodcasting and reset the wireless interface which will cause the light to go out for a short period but should start flashing within a minute. If the light is permantly off then there looks like a problem with the wireless radio. It is unusual for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands to drop out simultaneously unless the hub has lost conection with the CMTS.

Assuming that some people are not using wired connections because it is not popular nowadays is a huge assumption, especially with wireless dropout problems which can be complex and need specfic diagnostic info to resolve. Many problems can exhibit similar symptoms and there is a world of difference between similar and exact symptoms which can look like the same problem to the untrained eye. I am sure VM get hundreds of calls a day regarding wireless dropouts aling with B, Sky, Plusnet Comcast etc. etc. it is a common problem.

To be specific, the problem we are looking at is the SH2 stops broadasting wireless on one or both bands.

To determine if this is the case the wireless light(s) is permantly off, the blue tick light is a constant blue and not flickering and the traffic light is flashing blue.

If the wireless has failed there are two possible causes.

There is a firmware glitch, which there have been a few instances reported. A Factory Reset (or two) should resolve this even though it looks like some poster(s) are reluctant to follow advise and try it.

There is a hardware fault which causes the wireless radios to  fail, which can be resolved by a hardware replacement. either VM replacing the faulty SH2 with a Hub 3 or getting a decent third party router

There is the slight possibility that a clandesine faulty firmware has been released to some SH2s but it is unlikely

Maybe someone at the @ModTeam can take a look at this thread and confirm if there has been a firmware release and offer some more advice

Thanks for the input griffin - it is helpful troubleshooting. 

I concede that not everybody is having the same issue.  And it really might just be a coincidence that our Superhub 2s have started failing at the same time.  But there is a common theme for many...  

Otherwise reliable Superhub 2 - problems only have started from end of last week.  The whole Wifi completely switches off, multiple times per day - both 2.4 and 5GHz simultaneously. No SSID.  The wireless lights sometimes go permanently out and sometimes stay permenently on. The rest of the lights work as expected, and in fact wired connections stay live (so the local WLAN side is working). The admin interface also dies.  This is permanent until a reboot, which sorts it for a few hours (sometimes up to 12) before it dies again.

This is not a drop out that comes back - it is a total failure of the WiFi (and admin interface).  Wired and therefore WAN works fine.  When the WiFi is up, it is working as usual.  I understand the interferance theory, but I don't think this fits the symptoms.

I will certainly try a factory reset.

Rimmer100
On our wavelength
Message 56 of 606
Flag for a moderator

I just came on here and I am happy(ish) to see that I am not the only person having this issue.

It first started for me on Sunday 10th December when I was trying to do something on my wife's laptop but it couldn't see the WiFi SSIDs.  As I was near a secondary switch I just plugged into that and did what I needed to do.  It was a little while later that I noticed that my phone had lost it's connection as well.

Upon investigation neither the 2.4Ghz network SSID or the 5Ghz SSID were visible to any of the laptops / phones in the house, but internet was working fine via network cable (hence the V6 box hadn't complained).

This Super Hub 2 has been absolutely fine for several years, in the same position.

The SSIDs have now disappeared 5 times since this first encounter (including this morning before I came to work), each time requiring a reboot of the Super Hub to fix the issue.

Something has clearly happened over last weekend which is resulting in these problems for so many users which Virgin needs to acknowledge and fix.

0 Kudos
CFC-woody
Joining in
Message 57 of 606
Flag for a moderator

I also have been having issues over the past week. I forst noticed this when I lost my SkyQ connection looked at ther SH2 and no lights on the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghrz bands. Wired connection fine from my Sony TV.  Called Virgin Support they said channel clash !!!! had to reboot this morning as wirless band lights hard on and no connetivity.

I think the fact that somay people have reported issues in December its either a update gone rong or all these superhub 2 device wireless hardware are failing mmmmm.

I will contact Virgin media support again as they said they would monitor.

0 Kudos
Message 58 of 606
Flag for a moderator

We've raised the issue with our product and technical teams who are investigating, though there's been no firmware change of update of late to explain the rise in wireless problems attributed to the SH2.

If you could post the wireless adaptor make/model and O/S on the devices affected , or anything else that you feel could be relevant, this may aid troubleshooting.

We'll keep you posted with any news/update from the product teams.

Many thanks

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 59 of 606
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for picking up Ralph.

In addition, what would be useful would be some InSSIDer timeline graphs when the connection drops.

CFC-woody
Joining in
Message 60 of 606
Flag for a moderator

guys

Just talked to the wife and the wireless had dropped again, 2.3 and 5 Ghz bands lights off so this happend 06:00 and 16:00 today had to resart the SH2

0 Kudos