Menu
marslanp
Joining in
Message 41 of 606
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

Well my symptoms have been regular wireless dropouts since saturday. When this happens the wireless lights go off on the router, and you can't web browse to the router, though ethernet connected devices are ok. Rebooting the router works for a few hours, but sometimes less.

I called technical support earlier. The person is spoke to ran some diagnostic tests, and we did a factory reset over the phone. She was sure the issue was resolved - within an hour of ending the call the error had re-occured.

0 Kudos
Captain-morgan
Joining in
Message 42 of 606
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

I have been experiencing the exact same issues since Friday with my SuperHub2.

Surely something has been rolled out on Thurs/Fri which has caused this issue?!

After a few calls I managed to arrange an engineer visit.

Virgin engineer came out today and replaced my SuperHub2 with a SuperHub3. He also said the last customer he visited was experiencing the exact same issues.

0 Kudos
dadioflex
On our wavelength
Message 43 of 606
Flag for a moderator

griffin wrote:

Again there is no mention of the wireless lights going out in the post I replied to.

It is clear that not all contributors to this thread have the same problem, some cases are clearly showing the WAN connection dropping and one with a third party router.

No WiFi lights.

No access to the router IP address.

Wired connection continues to work.

This is what's being experienced by me, YonderBluRay, Optimus1066, daveguinane, bonzer, CanonGeezer, lustrare, tanckb, jimbobno1, marslanp  - all specifically mentioning WiFi going out intermittently since last weekend while the wired connection works as expected, the problem being cured only temporarily with a reboot.

Also, possibly ippy68, PJH1, pryonic, Trekker24689, pliers, impatient, mphippen, AkumaUK, chrisnewton, slim01 - but here there's no mention of whether the wired connection works - and I imagine some of them don't even use any wired connections as desktops aren't all that popular these days.

Kevstir says buying a router solved his problem. Doesn't specify if they suffered the same three symptoms.

Quinn also has an attached 3rd party router but still has a problem, so I doubt it's the same issue.

It seems to me twenty users all exhibiting similar or identical problems since last weekend and taking the time to make a forum post would suggest anything up to a hundred times as many users just phoning up VM or suffering through rebooting their SH2 once or twice a day and bad-mouthing VM to anyone who'll listen.

And that's just the twenty users from this thread, because I can see the same thing being discussed on Twitter and in other forum posts.

AkumaUk
On our wavelength
Message 44 of 606
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Dadioflex

I've definitely got the same issues, wired connection continues to work, PS4 and TV still connected to internet.. but Admin console does not respond, all wired.
0 Kudos
chrisnewton
Tuning in
Message 45 of 606
Flag for a moderator

Wired connection also still works for me but both WiFi lights still go off and no WiFi but my shield TV which is hard wired works fine still and only happened since last weekend 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 46 of 606
Flag for a moderator

dadioflex wrote:

griffin wrote:

Again there is no mention of the wireless lights going out in the post I replied to.

It is clear that not all contributors to this thread have the same problem, some cases are clearly showing the WAN connection dropping and one with a third party router.

No WiFi lights.

No access to the router IP address.

Wired connection continues to work.

This is what's being experienced by me, YonderBluRay, Optimus1066, daveguinane, bonzer, CanonGeezer, lustrare, tanckb, jimbobno1, marslanp  - all specifically mentioning WiFi going out intermittently since last weekend while the wired connection works as expected, the problem being cured only temporarily with a reboot.

Also, possibly ippy68, PJH1, pryonic, Trekker24689, pliers, impatient, mphippen, AkumaUK, chrisnewton, slim01 - but here there's no mention of whether the wired connection works - and I imagine some of them don't even use any wired connections as desktops aren't all that popular these days.

Kevstir says buying a router solved his problem. Doesn't specify if they suffered the same three symptoms.

Quinn also has an attached 3rd party router but still has a problem, so I doubt it's the same issue.

It seems to me twenty users all exhibiting similar or identical problems since last weekend and taking the time to make a forum post would suggest anything up to a hundred times as many users just phoning up VM or suffering through rebooting their SH2 once or twice a day and bad-mouthing VM to anyone who'll listen.

And that's just the twenty users from this thread, because I can see the same thing being discussed on Twitter and in other forum posts.

As I said wireless dropouts are a common problem, I see about 5 people that exhibit symptoms of the WiFi not broadcasting broadcasting.

The OP is interesting, where it is states either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz light goes out. If the wireless connection drops due to interference. the router will stop brodcasting and reset the wireless interface which will cause the light to go out for a short period but should start flashing within a minute. If the light is permantly off then there looks like a problem with the wireless radio. It is unusual for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands to drop out simultaneously unless the hub has lost conection with the CMTS.

Assuming that some people are not using wired connections because it is not popular nowadays is a huge assumption, especially with wireless dropout problems which can be complex and need specfic diagnostic info to resolve. Many problems can exhibit similar symptoms and there is a world of difference between similar and exact symptoms which can look like the same problem to the untrained eye. I am sure VM get hundreds of calls a day regarding wireless dropouts aling with B, Sky, Plusnet Comcast etc. etc. it is a common problem.

To be specific, the problem we are looking at is the SH2 stops broadasting wireless on one or both bands.

To determine if this is the case the wireless light(s) is permantly off, the blue tick light is a constant blue and not flickering and the traffic light is flashing blue.

If the wireless has failed there are two possible causes.

There is a firmware glitch, which there have been a few instances reported. A Factory Reset (or two) should resolve this even though it looks like some poster(s) are reluctant to follow advise and try it.

There is a hardware fault which causes the wireless radios to  fail, which can be resolved by a hardware replacement. either VM replacing the faulty SH2 with a Hub 3 or getting a decent third party router

There is the slight possibility that a clandesine faulty firmware has been released to some SH2s but it is unlikely

Maybe someone at the @ModTeam can take a look at this thread and confirm if there has been a firmware release and offer some more advice

0 Kudos
chrisnewton
Tuning in
Message 47 of 606
Flag for a moderator

How do you do a factory reset? 

I'll try anything 

Many thanks 

0 Kudos
ashedh
Joining in
Message 48 of 606
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same symptoms, also Superhub 2, also started on Monday 11th December. Perfectly reliable before then.

Same erratic indications from the wifi lights, sometimes both lights on and flashing, sometimes frozen, sometimes one light, sometimes neither. Sometimes one channel (2.4 or 5.0) stops first, sometimes both simultaneously. 

In addition:

My WPS indicator light is permanently off, even after a reboot when wifi is working.

Wired internet access is fine, but when wifi fails, I cannot access the settings on my router via 192.168.0.1. 

Some help from VM for the droves of customers with the same problem would be appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
moopet
Tuning in
Message 49 of 606
Flag for a moderator

Confirming that my version numbers are identical (3.11, V1.01.33) and I have had the same problem since the same trigger date.

Sometimes one WiFi channel drops, sometimes both. When the WiFi drops, the wired connection continues to function with one important exception: I cannot load the SuperHub 2 admin page at all, it just times out. This implies that something in the hub has actually crashed.

A reset does not help, but a reboot is a temporary fix. I just don't expect to have to do that multiple times per day.

Something has clearly changed in our systems.

0 Kudos
Slim01
Tuning in
Message 50 of 606
Flag for a moderator

agree, something has definitely changed since the weekend. too many people reporting exactly the same problem - wifi dropping, 2.4 and 5 lights go out, ethernet ok, reset 'fixes' problem temporarily. Just to update, the reset used to fix the problem for about 2 hours until this morning when it now only fixes it for about 20 minutes. IS VIRGIN DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS? 

0 Kudos