Menu
richplatt
Tuning in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

WiFi keeps refusing connections - "incorrect password"

Bit of an odd one, we got a new router about 10 months ago and it has been working fine until a few weeks ago. It will drop all connections and then refuse authentication and say "incorrect password". This happens on devices where the password is saved and has continually worked. Initially we would have to just restart the router and all devices would reconnect. However it is now happening more frequently and sometimes it takes more than one restart. 

We have up to 15 devices connecting (not all at once). Laptops (Windows and Mac), iPad, iPhones, Android phones, Xbox 360 and One. When the router stops connections it is all devices. 

Any suggestions? I hard reset the router last week and then set up a new SSID and password. This meant we had to update all devices. However it is still happening. When it does authenticate the connection is fine and solid. It is purely an authentication issue! 

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi keeps refusing connections - "incorrect password"

Is this a Superhub 2 (VMDG485)? There is a huge thread somewhere about this problem and the only way out of it for the affected users (and it didn't affect everyone) was to be given a SH2ac (VMDG490).

Depending on your answer, we can try to locate that particular thread. The Forum Team take a few days to get to a thread and in the meantime it is best to correctly set the scene for them to address.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
richplatt
Tuning in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the response.

I checked last night, it is a VMDG490. 

What else should I try and do? 

Cheers,
Rich

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 - he's the Superuser expert on this (even if he denies it).

Taking Rich's opening statement, 2nd sentence as a given, another resurgence of an old problem what do you think?

@richplatt

On a belts and braces basis, when the WiFi drops on all devices, what are the modem lights doing? In other words has the circuit itself fallen?

0 Kudos
richplatt
Tuning in
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Initially devices that were cabled in were not affected. So I have a laptop wired in and internet was fine on the device. Same with the Xbox 360 cabled in.

However it seems to have gotten worse and now these devices have been affected in the last couple of days. 

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Yes - but what are modem lights doing? Particularly the arrows light.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

When the wireless goes - could you check to see what type of connection Windows thinks it is in the connection manager?

TBH - I've not seen the problem that others have seen on the hub 2 on the Superhub 2ac.  That's not to say that it's not happening.  Just that I haven't seen may reports on the Forum AFAIK

As Seph knows I did have something similar happen on Saturday on the Hub 3.  All my Wireless devices lost connection.  My wired internet was working fine but when I looked at the Windows connection manager - it was seeing the connection as an open connection.  However if that was the case your PC wouldn't be asking for a password, but it would still fail to connect.

In my case I rebooted the hub without changing anything on my devices and they call connected perfectly.

I would say though that I haven't had any more trouble since then, and the Wireless on the Hub 3 has performed flawlessly for months.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

richplatt
Tuning in
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

So I hard reset the router last night.

I changed the SSID and password to something new. I reconnected most of my devices and it seems to be working ok. I just don't know for how long... 

Thanks for the help all. 

0 Kudos
richplatt
Tuning in
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

It's been happening all weekend. All wireless devices just don't connect, then when you try to connect it prompts for a password and will just say "incorrect password" when you type it in. It's pretty infuriating.

I hard reset it again, it works for a few hours and then conks out. The laptop hard wired in seems to stay connected when the WiFi drops. It was only once that it wouldn't pick up an IP and I had to reset the router. 

How do I go about getting a new router? We can't go on like this, a couple of us occasionally work from home. 

0 Kudos
elan4872
Tuning in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same issue! None of our Kindle White's will connect anymore, error message stating that password is not recognised. My daughters fairly new Toshiba laptop also now refuses to connect to the 2G Wi-Fi with the same password issue.

Using a Super Hub 2.

0 Kudos