Menu
andrewsk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

WiFi keeps dropping out every day or so, sometimes several times a day

Hello

We moved house a year ago and in our old house (older router) we had perfect wifi, never dropped out.

Since moving house and getting a super hub the wifi drops out every few days, sometimes several times a day. A reboot (unplug mains and plug back in) fixes the problem. I get the feeling from reading some of the forum conversations that this could be a fault with the router.

Could someone from Virgin respond to this with a suggested way forward? Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi keeps dropping out every day or so, sometimes several times a day

It takes about a week for VM to respond to posts, and there is not a lot they can do about wireless dropouts as the causes are outside their control.

First of all, I would check the connection with a device connected directly to the Hub to check it is not the connection between the Hub and VM's servers is not dropping.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

I would also check for other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

0 Kudos
andrewsk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Griffin. It's just dropped out again, and needed another reboot. It's not an intermittent "drop out then reconnect", it needs a switch off and on to get the wifi back. Wired connections still work. Hugely frustrating!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

With the wired connection being stable it certainly looks like a wireless problems.

Following my advise above may help with the dropouts.

You could try setting the SH to use WPA2 with AES encryption. might help with the reconnection problem.(a bit of a longshot)

What SH do you have, is it the SH2 (VMDG 485) ?

0 Kudos
andrewsk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Griffin. Have bought a TP Link router and switched the Virgin SH to modem mode. Wifi is now super fast and rock solid. And also reaches further than the SH. Disappointed I had to shell out more money than I already pay to VM each month, but worth it.

0 Kudos
IanHutch57
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andrewsk - I suffer same problem - if you have a solution (even if at a cost) can I ask for exact make and model of the new router you bought? I have original SuperHub - wanted a newer version but seems not possible without more £££ to VM so they are sending a replacement original SH - may fix the issue but probabaly not - so your alternative may be the way to go. Thx

0 Kudos
andrewsk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It was from Amazon:

TP-Link Archer C8 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router (Beamforming Technology, 2.4 GHz 450 Mbps, 5 GHz 1300 Mbps, USB 3.0/USB 2.0, Support

0 Kudos
andrewsk
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Quick update: with the TP-Link Router no wi-fi drop outs at all in 2 weeks. Now I know what reliable wi-fi should feel like!
maax555
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for information Andrew. I am having the same problem. dropping out at least once a day and considering I am at work all day and only in the house for a couple of hours at night this is very poor.
I have the superhub 2 and have read that many users are experiencing the same issues. Many have received newer routers which have resolved the problem. Virgin refused to send me a new router without them troubleshooting the issue. They advised that the issue would probably be interference and to change channels etc. This is not the case as have tried all of this and used a wifi analyser. As i only have a mobile phone i am not prepared to call technical and sit on the line for an hour.
Virgin prices are rising and service is falling. I am paying £38pm for internet only which is a constant source of stress and frustration. I believe that Virgin dont care as they know there is no alternative in my area.
If BT ever roll out Infinity in my area I will not hesitate to move.

If any moderators would like to arrange technical to call me to try and discover the problem before sending out a new modem then please come back to me. My preferred option would be to have two months free to cover the cost of a router that works.

I am so frustrated that after the Christmas period I will cancel my services and take the Sky internet as I already have Sky Q and see if i can make do until BT get their finger out.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The only way to rule out any intererence issues with any degree of certainly would be to scan with a spectrum analyser, as these pick up all sources of interference, not just neighbouring wifi networks.

The SH2 like any ISP modem\router is a basic entry levels device and a newer hub probably not resolve your issue unless the unit is faulty.

0 Kudos