Menu
crispee
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

WiFi drop out

Every 2 days or so I lose internet connection from my wifi devices on both frequencies. The wifi is still visible but no internet. A router reboot fixes it.

Screenshot (3).pngScreenshot (4).pngScreenshot (5).png

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi drop out

The downstream power levels are a little high, which could cause the hub to drop the connection to the Internet.  The recommended range is -6 to +10 and all of your downstream channels are above 10.

This will need an engineer visit to sort out the power levels. You can call VM and try to book a visit or wait for the VM staff to get to this thread and they can help you book a visit. Unfortunately current response times on here from staff are about a week.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The downstream power levels are a little high, which could cause the hub to drop the connection to the Internet.  The recommended range is -6 to +10 and all of your downstream channels are above 10.

This will need an engineer visit to sort out the power levels. You can call VM and try to book a visit or wait for the VM staff to get to this thread and they can help you book a visit. Unfortunately current response times on here from staff are about a week.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi crispee, 

Thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear that your router drops out every 2 days or so, I apologise for any troubles incurred.

I have tested your connection from here and I can't see anything out of the ordinary no errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs and all of the power levels are within the preferred ranges.

Are you still having these issues? If so, please respond to me here with a recent copy of your Hubs logs for me to compare with the data we have here.

Does it drop connection for both wired and wireless?

Is there any noticeable change to the Hubs light sequence when the connection drops?

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
crispee
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam,

Thanks for getting in touch. I haven't had any drop outs for a couple of weeks now.

After scouring the forums I moved my DECT phone away from the hub, and fingers crossed, that seems to have done the trick

0 Kudos
andrewsk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I have the same problem. We moved a year ago and in our old house (older router) we had perfect wifi, never dropped out.

Since moving house and getting a super hub the wifi drops out every few days, sometimes several times a day. A reboot (unplug mains and plug back in) fixes the problem. I get the feeling from reading some of the forum conversations that this could be a fault with the router.

Could someone from Virgin respond to this with a suggested way forward? Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey andrewsk,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with your wireless connections. Have you tried to change the operating wireless channel yet? If not, please take a look at our help article - Changing the Virgin Media router's wireless channel / frequency

I hope this will help you, but if not please let me know and I'll investigate further.

Thanks again for posting,

Take care.  

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
andrewsk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather

Sorry to say that I have given up on the Virgin Super Hub. Bought a TP-Link router and switched the Super Hub to modem mode. Now I have rock solid wi-fi and know what reliable wi-fi feels like. No drop outs in 2 weeks. And better coverage.

Very disappointed that I pay so much to Virgin each month and don't get decent hardware. As the wi-fi is now reliable, my conclusion is that virgin hardware is not good enough.

For others who might be interested, this is the router I bought:

It was from Amazon:

TP-Link Archer C8 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router (Beamforming Technology, 2.4 GHz 450 Mbps, 5 GHz 1300 Mbps, USB 3.0/USB 2.0, Support

0 Kudos