Menu
SILEeeles
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

WiFi crashes, yet again

This has been going on for some time now and it's reached the point where this forum is the last resort.

In fact im sat typing it on my phone as my router takes an age to reset and for the WiFi to come back on.

It crashes. At least once a day, on a good day. The router I had previously also did this. The engineer that visited replaced it with a superhub 2 ac. It does the same thing.

I get a funny feeling that for a time, the routers are stable right up until the point that virgin fiddles with the firmware and pushes updates.

Nothing connects to WiFi when it drops, not laptops not phones (two different brands) not tablets, even my WiFi extender becomes impossible to connect to.

The PC will work via ethernet, but I cannot access 192.168.0.1

The WiFi channels are custom (using channel 8 which no one in my immediate area is using) there is no interference from devices in my home. The problem is with the router and the firmware.

One of my recommend a friend's has a white square shaped router and has not complained of the same problems.

Beyond that, I am extremely happy with my service. But for this to be a continuing issue, time and time again, is not on.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi crashes, yet again

Are you aware that there is considerable overlap between the WiFi channels? 

If there are other users on the adjacent channels they will be causing interference.  In some cases, adjacent channel interference can be worse than co-channel.

0 Kudos
Tsar
Up to speed
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

"Beyond that, I am extremely happy with my service."

That being the case and given that you have already gone through multiple hubs with no satisfaction I would consider buying a 3rd party router and setting the hub to modem mode. You may, of course, feel that you shouldn't have to pay for this. I don't disagree. But if you are looking to end your frustration that would be the route I'd suggest.

My personal choice would be the TP-Link Archer C7 or the Netgear R6400. They cost around £80. Others may have other suggestions.

0 Kudos
SILEeeles
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Whilst that may be the case, usually as a point of troubleshooting, they tell you to switch channels.

Since the problem existed before I did this, and still exists after doing it, I thought it was worth mentioning that I've already jumped through the usual "troubleshooting" hoops.
0 Kudos
SILEeeles
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The superhubs (at least the ones I've had) have all been Netgear, so that doesnt really fill me with too much confidence.

I'm happy with the service in so much as that it has been great speed wise, it hasnt cut out or dropped, and I've never had bandwidth or issues in that regard. Just with routers themselves.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The old Superhubs were NetGear, but they had VM software in them. Where do you think most of the problem lie?

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
SILEeeles
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ah, I didn't know. But I suppose it validates my comment about VM messing with the firmware.

I know in general that the WiFi antennas on my HTC 10 suck, but it isn't just my phone that has been the problem, my partners s7 also refused connect, as does the laptop, tablets refuse to connect, the extender stops working, not even being able to connect.

0 Kudos
SILEeeles
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

17311433_1831411400446469_1980805818_o.png17357499_1831411440446465_615414348_o.jpg

As you can see in the last two pictures, there were problems this morning for both wifi and now ethernet apparently.

The screenshot on my phone says that the 2G wifi had "authentication problems" ... it doesnt. The 5G one said it was disabled ... It wasnt. And the extender just refuses to connect any which way when they crash. When I turned the PC on, I noticed this time that it had the exclamation mark over the netwrok icon. Couldnt connect to anything, including the router. Have attached a screenshot of the most recent log, although I'm not sure if its that helpful.

0 Kudos
SILEeeles
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Any member of staff around?
0 Kudos
SILEeeles
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Happened again today. Disappointed that no member of staff has responded, and apparently my picture of the routers log was removed.
0 Kudos