Menu
alexandjen
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

WiFi constant disconnects and connecting issue - Superhub 2

For the last few months our Superhub 2 has been causing issues with various devices not being able to connect to the WiFi or having been connected, suddenly being disconnected.

I have also had issues whereby the network will keep asking for the password - once entered it just keeps throwing up an error (on the mobile device) saying "unable to connect to network" this is usually on the 5g network so we end up connecting to the 2g instead (all of our devices are 5g compatible)

I've tried changing the channel number and resetting the router, which does help for a short while but soon goes back to the usual disconnect/unable to connect issue.

Is there anything I can do or does this need an engineer to come out and take a look?

Thanks in advance, John

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi constant disconnects and connecting issue - Superhub 2

All the stats are fine.

However, I would test with a device connected directly to the SH2 by ethernet cable first. just to confirm that is is a wireless issue and not the internet connection dropping out.

Are the devices dropping out near to the hub? 5Ghz has a shorter range than the 2.4Ghz band, so range issues may be contributing to the dropouts.

I have seen problems on the 5Ghz band with the SH2 (had a few myself) . I would start with a clean slate and perform a Factory Reset on the SH2. That can sometimes clear up issues with the 5Ghz band. Bear in mind all passwords \ Passphrases /SSIDs will be reset to their default values printed on the SH, and all port forwarding rules and MAC reservations will be lost unless backed up first.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help changing channels by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

I would also check for other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there alexandjen,

Sorry to hear about the connection fault experienced. Smiley Sad

I've had a look into this for you and there does appear to be an issue with the equipment downstream power level.

There are no issues detected via the network segment, therefore, I'd like to arrange for an engineer to visit and investigate this further.

I've sent you a private message so that we can get this sorted.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

All Replies
alexandjen
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot 2016-12-19 21.06.45.pngScreenshot 2016-12-19 21.01.46.png

0 Kudos
alexandjen
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Network Log edited to remove IP address

HubNetworkLog.jpg

0 Kudos
alexandjen
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone explain whether my router status logs are as they should be or if there is a problem as disconnects are as frequent as ever?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All the stats are fine.

However, I would test with a device connected directly to the SH2 by ethernet cable first. just to confirm that is is a wireless issue and not the internet connection dropping out.

Are the devices dropping out near to the hub? 5Ghz has a shorter range than the 2.4Ghz band, so range issues may be contributing to the dropouts.

I have seen problems on the 5Ghz band with the SH2 (had a few myself) . I would start with a clean slate and perform a Factory Reset on the SH2. That can sometimes clear up issues with the 5Ghz band. Bear in mind all passwords \ Passphrases /SSIDs will be reset to their default values printed on the SH, and all port forwarding rules and MAC reservations will be lost unless backed up first.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help changing channels by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

I would also check for other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

alexandjen
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Griffin

Thanks for the in depth response

I have a PC connected by ethernet full time and this has no connection problems, it's solely wireless devices 

Devices (iPhones, iPads, MacBooks) are dropping connection all over the house, on 2g and 5g

There are no electrical devices active which could be causing interferance and the SH has always been where it is positioned which up until around 2 months ago had always been working fine - I suppose I'll have to try a factory reset

Is it worth me trying to get upgraded to a SH3?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It depends what features you use on the SH.

The Hub 3's firmware is still immature to say the least and it also suffers from a bug that increases latency a bit.

Personally, I would prefer the SH2AC

0 Kudos
alexandjen
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Are the firmware upgrades for the SH2 automatically applied or would I have to apply it manually - do you know what the most recent version is for the SH2?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

All VM firmware updates are pushed automatically.

The current firmware for the SH2 is V1.01.31

0 Kudos
alexandjen
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, just checked, mine is up to date

0 Kudos