Menu
Bruv
Dialled in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

WiFi app and opting out ?

I received a snail mail letter  today extolling the 'new' WiFi app, telling me I can connect to WiFi all over the place if I install the app on my device.The app has a rating of 3.8 on Play store so I wont be downloading it.

Apparently the way it works is that all our personal in home hubs are made available to random strangers passing by with the app on their phone. I am almost sure it is secure, because Virgin tells me it is. But why if I don't want my hub used do I have to opt out ? Why not make it an opt in choice, the way it is now  seems sneaky.

And why do Virgin contact me via mail rather than email ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi app and opting out ?

BT did the same with their routers and automatically enrolled all their broadband punters into the BT WiFi network, unless they opted out.  It is the quickest way to grow the number of access points and the least confusing way to provide the free wifi to customers IMHO.  If people had to take steps to enable it then most probably wouldn't, then come on here and complain it wasn't working when they tried to access it while out and about.

As for being contacted by mail rather than email that might be because it is a change to the T&Cs of your contract so might have to be sent by post.  Like when banks or credit card companies change their T&Cs you have to be notified by post even if you are signed up for paperless statements and billing.  Just a guess mind you, it could just as easily be VM being random again Smiley Very Happy

EDIT - How can it be sneaky if they have informed you about it?  AFAIK BT have made it part of the huge T&C blurb when you sign up for broadband that almost nobody reads, that sounds far more sneaky. 

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
ehayward
Joining in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

It does feel kind of scammy (I opted out too) because when you opt out you then can't use Virgin's public wifi network in future.

However, until they rolled out the take-over of domestic routers, the public wifi access was included in their overall service offering (you could use it in underground stations, for example). So in fact they're giving you two choices, both of which are worse than the status quo:

• Opt in, and expose your router to goodness knows what (they can talk up how secure a second wifi and broadband connection is, but it will never be as secure as not having it at all)
  • Opt out, and kiss goodbye to a service you've been able to enjoy until now

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the choice isn't presented in such stark terms, but it's nonetheless what Virgin customers are facing...

0 Kudos
Bruv
Dialled in
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Internet security is a high priority for the USA, (Russia's election involvement ?) so why shouldn't I be concerned about my hub being used by any random stranger ? I opted out too.

There is free WiFi all over the place, hotels, eating places, shopping arcades, trains, hospitals, all places I have connected without the need to allow access to my home hub. And if it is so secure, why the need to opt either way ? Why doesn't Virgin just 'utilise' every bodies hub without notification ?

LandRocket4
Tuning in
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I was actually just about to create a topic when I saw this one, and I'm intrigued.....

There is a VM hotspot about a mile away; which I have used a couple of times, but it's actually c**p compared to the 71mb/s I get through tethering, so I don't usually bother, and really don't care if I lose public VM access, but I just need to be aware..  most people are more than accommodating with their wifi if you are polite enough.

I have a SH3, modem mode.  Wifi saturation is already a problem in our area, so I have a Ubiquity AP in my main room to try and keep my range down to what I really need.  Power != Greatness.

0 Kudos
Owl27
Joining in
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Opting out isn't easy.  I suspect this is deliberate.  We are told to click on My Profile after signing in, but I couldn't find it for ages.  For anyone still hunting I found it here -  https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/index.html   I hope that works.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Owl27 wrote:

Opting out isn't easy.  I suspect this is deliberate.  We are told to click on My Profile after signing in, but I couldn't find it for ages.  For anyone still hunting I found it here -  https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/index.html   I hope that works.

I found it very easy to find the opt in/out options.  Logged in to My Virgin media and went to my profile and it is listed under "My Services".  I'm opting in, although as a modem mode user that probably opts me out.

The link you have provided is just a news page and had no useful link on it for me, but I'm not in one of the area's currently trialling the service so maybe different areas get different news links.

For those concerned about security I have seen no evidence of any issues with BT customers and they have been doing this with their home hubs for years.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Owl27
Joining in
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Well, all I can say is that's how I found it, and your way doesn't work for me.  I just tested it myself and indeed the link does take you to what appears to be an advertising page but near the top is "My Profile" that you can click on.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Bruv wrote:

I received a snail mail letter  today extolling the 'new' WiFi app, telling me I can connect to WiFi all over the place if I install the app on my device........

And why do Virgin contact me via mail rather than email ?

A variation on a theme as I received an email instead:

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 15.00.36.png

Which is not surprising considering as one of my Hubs was updated back in March 2015 for pre-req pre-emptive WiFi Trial (and later regressed due to <cough> unexpected technical difficulties! Smiley Wink ) .

More amusing (to me but not anyone else) is they don't specify which of the 3 Hubs in my test/trial portfolio is being included in the "expanded network" and potential raises the question as to whether a MyVirginMedia profile OPT-OUT will affect all the Hubs or just one?  (I'd expect it to affect all - but as a config change is involved then I suspect there may be a window of opportunity when changing a SHub where the Hub may not reflect the MyVM profile until TFTP configuration has been applied?).      

Of course since it's VM than the "virginMedia Wifi" SSID/channel, + additional dedicated service flow group on D/S & U/S may be in a matter of days or several weeks time (since this has been in pilot since Sept2015 anyway) !   Smiley Wink 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
escuzeme
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I am just wondering when VM will be sending a cheque or other payment for using the home users electricity? Or should they just invoice VM?
I am pretty sure it is a legal requirement to ask first whether you can run your profiteering service off someone elses electricity.?
Would it seem scandalous to you, if I installed a network in your house then a few days or weeks later informed you that I  had been running a publicly accessible VPN or some other network services over the network I installed for you, saying "Hey just click some link on a web page to opt out"? Then, when you look for the link you cant find any? Think about it. If you dont see anything wrong, get in touch I will install a network for you. All that free electric to run my services, cant wait for your call - oh and the opt out box oh that will be somewhere just search for it its here, there, no its over there

ITS A SCAM! scandalously so
0 Kudos