Menu
POWELLY48
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WiFi and Smartview TV

I have had Virgin broadband (updated) for many years with the router being situated in my front bedroom where my old computer was. I now have a laptop as does my wife and we tend to use these in our lounge which is at the back of the house with a couple of walls in between. Depending on where I sit I keep losing my connection. I could live with this but I have now started using my Samsung smart TV to view photos and videos from my laptop on my TV but the loss of connection from my WiFi router means I cannot view much. It is really frustrating and makes me wonder why I pay so much money to Virgin if they cannot connect me throughout the house. Is a WiFi booster the only solution or having my router relocated.

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
JoRo
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi & Smartview TV

Something on the lines of this would probably help you. It using the house wiring to transmit the broadband signal from router to a wifi transmitter plugged in to a socket in where you want to use the signal.

NETGEAR PLW1000-100UKS 1000 Mbps Powerline Ethernet WiFi Adapter Homeplug Access Point, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11 b/g/n/a, (1 Gigabit Ethernet Port)

I'm not recommending this particular product. I have never used it, but just giving it as an example of what is available to resolve your problem. There are several other products on the market which do the same thing.
0 Kudos
POWELLY48
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks. You would think considering how much we pay Virgin for our broadband it would work throughout the house.

0 Kudos
JoRo
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I sympathise with your problems. Nothing is getting any cheaper nowadays. However, in fairness to Virginmedia, your enemy is the law of physics which governs the propagation of radio waves. You probably live in a "proper" house with decent walls rather than the flimsy things in modern construction. You may find that using the 2.4Ghz wifi is better than the 5Ghz as the absorption is greater at higher frequencies. I wish you well.
0 Kudos
POWELLY48
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your response. I will have to bite the bullet and buy a booster.

Les 

0 Kudos