Menu
jt006b3051
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Windows 10 ongoing problem

I joined this forum because I read a similar problem of mine dated January 2016 It seems a solution was a new upgrade on the modem to cope with this. I was not advised of any such upgrade around 2-3 weeks ago when first experiencing my normal WiFi no longer functioned on my two Windows 10 laptops but struggled and worked on my old XP laptop.I have been on Broadband with Virgin since 2002 and this was because BT was so bad at that time.Now I find their Hub outside in the street dishing out a stronger signal than I get from room to room in my house. Strange BT have actually mentioned this in their adverts. So is it Virgin, Microsoft or BT to blame for my WiFi problem?.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi Windows 10 ongoing problem

have you tryed changeing the channel of the wifi alot of factors can effect your signal around you even bt routers can effect virgin media routers if on same channel get wifi insider to see what you can change i think its not windows 10 ongoing its maybe the provider routers can effect others around even if you have your wireless home phone near the router can effect the signal. please Don't put your router not near anything like tv's wireless home phones it is simple of knowing in the frist place and some people don't get this

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos

All Replies
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

have you tryed changeing the channel of the wifi alot of factors can effect your signal around you even bt routers can effect virgin media routers if on same channel get wifi insider to see what you can change i think its not windows 10 ongoing its maybe the provider routers can effect others around even if you have your wireless home phone near the router can effect the signal. please Don't put your router not near anything like tv's wireless home phones it is simple of knowing in the frist place and some people don't get this

0 Kudos
jt006b3051
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Nothing changed regarding my use of the WiFi connection except a boost signal noticed from outside on the BT Hub I thought this may be interfering with a fairly weak but working Virgin media signal . I have a booster I have never used from the Linksys I had before the all in one router/WiFi modem supplied by virgin somewhere but I had hoped I could avoid wiring in more hardware at more running costs. Not sure if this is a growing problem with Virgin media but a stronger signal from an updated modem would surely be the best option from Virgin media? I can connect OK to BT Hub so this negates faulty WiFi software would it not?

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

you can connect it to bt home hub via lan cable but you have to change alot of settings for bt hub 5 or 4 i don't know about 3

0 Kudos
jt006b3051
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tonight I have signed on in the usual way and found the WiFi signal is showing full strength and it is now better than before?? Could it be that a VirginMedia Tech has read my post and increased the modem signal strength if that is possible .?  I have done nothing to change things. What is going on?

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

you can try powerlines that have wifi built into them

tech guys on the phone can't do power levels

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi jt006b3051, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your wireless since the Windows 10 update. 

I know there was a new release due which was to fix the issue so perhaps that is why you are suddenly able to connect ok. 

How have things been for you since you last posted? 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jt006b3051
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My apologies to all you kind people that had ideas for my problem and my very long time in replyiing. I actually spoke to my Son regarding this and as a result I bought 4 "Technomate's" for £36 and got on with life Internet wise forgetting you all. Terrible of me. 

For those not aware of this system I will explain in the hope that a lot of you may benefit a lot from this. May I start by saying I am just an ordinary chap not too brainy and 79 years old for those a little scared to try to install new hardware. These 4 units plug into the mains around your home and one warning they should be on the same ring main I think and the cable supplied with each unit plugs into your devices. One will be the sender from your router. I do not believe I had any trouble once I had got the router to identify the sender or vice versa. As a result I am really no longer WiFi dependant and hopefully more secure than before from tapping in from outside. I have my TV connected to the internet and my 3 laptops in different rooms.

I am a very happy old man now apart from my aches and pains from life's struggles.

0 Kudos