Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6 (132 Views)

WiFi Problem...

Hello! 

So I am a new virgin media customer. On 100mbps BB, TV and phoneline. An engineer came on Saturday and set everything up for me. I asked where he would recommend putting the hub and he pointed out a spot for it. I was a bit worried about if it would reach the whole house which it doesn't. (he placed it on one side of the house) He said if I wanted it towards the middle of the house that it would be a lot of wires and would look messy. However after the engineer left, right on the first day the connection was very weak. It would sit around 10mbps download and around 5 mbps upload. The following day it showed much better results around 88.80mbps download and 6 mbps upload. Today it has dropped again to about 10-20mbps. I have noticed that it happens around the same time. Usually around 5pm. I came from BT who I weren't very happy with. I just hope I don't have the same problem with Virgin. I am paying for up to 100mbps but I hope I don't keep getting 10-20 mbps. Any help with my problem. Could it be the router thats faulty or maybe where the engineer placed the hub? I just want some peace of mind and finally good internet after the hassle I had with BT. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

(PS I can't move the hub myself as the amount of wire that the engineer left literally does not allow me to move it any further from the spot it is placed currently)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 6 (109 Views)

Re: WiFi Problem...

Have you tested the speed connecting a PC to the hub directly by ethernet cable?  This is the only way to get an accurate reading since wireless is affected by many external factors like range, client hardware, interference and the topography of your home.

I would test the wired speed during the morning and again during evening peak, jusat to check for contention issues.

If you get good wired speeds all the time, then it does look like a wireless issue.

The emgineer has not put the hub in the best position as you are correct it should be somewhere central away from obstacles and electrical devices, for the best wireless coverage.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Measuring the wireless signal strengths is important as you will need a strength of -67dBm or better for a decent connection that is able to stream video. The wireless strenth at 1m from the hub should be around -24dBm.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

Where the wireless signal strength is poor you could look at powerline adapters to provide wireless in hard to reaqch places.

The Hubs are basic entry levels devices and a decent third party router wired back to the hub would provide a better overall coiverage, but whether it would provide decent coverage over your entire house will depend on the topography of your home and the wireless environment.

Joining in
Message 3 of 6 (72 Views)

Thank you for your reply. I will try out the wired connection today, I just need to find my old laptop that actually has an ethernet port as I am currently using a Macbook Pro. I knew it would be handy to keep my old laptop.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 6 (55 Views)

Hello griffin,

So I have just completed wired tests today. 

This morning I ran a test around 8:30am My results were: 88.80mbps - 97mbps (Download) and 5-6 mbps (upload)

Ran some tests when I arrived home now.

Results came in: 3-7 mbps (Download) and 5-6mbps (upload)

I am actually shocked as I thought it was only WiFi that I would be getting these problems. Would really like your opinion on this. I am guessing that is really bad. I am starting to regret leaving BT at the moment. It is really annoying because my family want to use it as we all leave the house in the morning. Then we get home and we can't even load a page properly.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 5 of 6 (49 Views)

Those wired tests seem to confirm it is a contention problem.

A VM Forum Team member should pick up this thread in about a week, and will check the local traffic on your segment to confirm and give you a fault reference number. With the fault reference number you will be able to claim a discount on your bill. However, this may be no use to you if you depend on the internet every evening.

This type of issue can take a long time to fix, we are talking months if not longer, some contention issues have laster over a year. These type of faults tend to get reviewed every couple of months and a new review date is issued, bearing in mind this is not a fix date which may be several reviews down the road. It maybe worth searching the forum with the first part of your postcode to see if anyone else is suffering from the same issue and how far the reviews have progressed.
Personally I would give Retentions a ring tomorrow (Thinking of Leaving Us Option) and cancel without penalty as you are still in your 14 day grace period.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 6 (45 Views)

Yes, I was thinking just that. Honestly thank you for being so honest about everything. I spoke to a virgin media advisor yesterday and he said there was a reference out already for my area to be "fixed" by 26th of April. But honestly from what I've seen on the forums, they don't fix anything. Also by then I will be trapped in the contract. Which is what I think they want to happen. But anyways I will be contacting tomorrow and resolving the issue and hopefully I will find a better and actual service somewhere else. 

Thank you again.

0 Kudos