Menu
ChrisFleetwood
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Connectivity issues.

Hello there. My wife and I have recently been upgraded to the SuperHub 3 as we were having difficulties with the hub 2AC. We connected the SH3 up and activated it, which only took about 10 minutes and it worked fine on my personal computer (connected via ethernet).

However, there is no other device in the house (Playstation 4, Smart Phones, Televisions, Tablets, etc) that is able to connect to the WiFi. They pick up the SSID, and you go through the motions to connect, however they just can't make the final step.

I took the liberty of creating a Guest Network on the Router log in (what I call the 'back office') that URL where you type in your IP '192.168.0.1'.

After creating a Guest Network, all of the aforementioned devices connected instantly to said network, it has been stable, and the speeds have been fairly decent.

Now, my own personal computer has connected via ethernet to the guest network and physically cannot connect to the 2.4G network, it's almost as if the guest network has overidden the personal networks.

So herein lies the issue - I deleted the guest network, wondering if this might reset the SH3 in some way and allow all devices to connect to the 2.4/5G networks again; however to no avail.

We are back to square one. My personal computer can connect to the 2.4G network via ethernet, but no other device in the house can access the WiFi, despite picking up the SSIDs. This is beyond frustrating as I have a disabled (both physically and mentally) step-daughter who goes out of her mind when she does not have access to the internet, it provides much needed stimulation for her.

We cannot also continue to pay for our service, and yet be limited to guest networks, I am not a technician expert, but there is a reason the guest network is seperate from the home network, and therein I expect limitations on what we can and cannot do on said network.

Any help would be more than greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
ChrisFleetwood
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Connectivity issues.

You know what guys, you can close this thread. After two days of struggling, I have struggled to the solution. On the back office, there is a security section. Therein MAC filtering had been activated, I simply disabled MAC filtering, and now everybody can connect. I hope if anybody reading this is havign a similar problem, they can use the information herein to resolve it for themselves. Thanks Virgin Tech support, who I called up three times, simple perseverence won the day.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Pleased to hear you got it sorted yourself Chris.  Quite often the solution is something simple that was overlooked.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

A Guest network will be on a different subnet to the Main Networks, so computers on the Guest network cannot communicate with the main network. This is basically the point of guest networks, a network that guests can use without being able to pry into the main home network.

The hub's guest network are usually limited to 20Mbps and tend to be more tolerant to minor hardware incompatibilities.

Have you seperated the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks on the hub 3?

Setting the wireless radio's settings to compatibility might help. Sorry cannot be specific as I do not have (or want) a Hub 3

It would be worth forgetting the wireless networks on devices where possible and setting up the network again.

What wireless encryption are you using? It would be best to use WPA2 with AES if possible.

It might be wortk testing with the wireless encryption temporary disabled to test if it is an encrypyion problem.

Are you getting any error messages when your devices fail to connect?

If you were having wireless troubles with the SH2AC, then upgrading to the Hub 3 would have done nothing to resolve these problems.

EDIT

Glad you got it sorted, I should get distracted by the racing  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi ChrisFleetwood,

Welcome to the Community!

Glad to hear you sorted the issue out.

Pop back to the Community if you ever get stuck again.

All the best! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos