Menu
jamholder
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Connected, no Internet

Hi, I've been having an issue now for about 3 months where my internet connection drops but my devices are still connected to the WiFi network. The drops seem random and happen at worst every 20 minutes or so.

I have noticed that when these events happen, the tick light on the router flashes blue about once a second, while the traffic arrow flashes green and a little faster.

I've got a SH2ac router, and getting the same issue on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. I've tried: restarting the router (which fixes the issue for about half an hour), restarting my PC and other devices, manually changing channel (tried this ~10 times, including twice by VM tech support who assured me it would fix the problem, what a joke).

Don't know if this is connected, but I have also been getting very slow speeds considering I'm paying for 200mbps, and have noticed that even when connected normally, I get speed drops (to about 100kb) for a few seconds every couple of minutes.

At this stage any help what-so-ever is very welcome, I have spent a very long time trying to find a solution and have nearly given up!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Connected, no Internet

The light behaviour on your hub suggests that the hub is loosing connection to VM's servers.

Posting some basic diagnostic info may help.

Navigate to the hub's GUI using http://192.168.100.1
Don't log in, click the Router Status button in the top right of the screen.
Copy \ Paste the Downstream, Upstream, and Network Logs.

Don't worry about the formatting.

Wireless is a different kettle of fish, with speeds will be heavily dependent on Range, Client hardware, Interference and the Topography of your home.

0 Kudos
jamholder
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I've attached screenshots below of the diagnostic info, hope it helps

DownstreamDownstreamUpstreamUpstream

0 Kudos
jamholder
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

network logsnetwork logs

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It helps a lot.

Your downstream powers are too high and need to be adjusted. There are also quite a few T3 errors showing which doesn't look too healthy. It looks like you need a tech visit.

You will need to contact VM for resolution, either by waiting here about a week until a VM Forum Team Member picks up the thread, or give them a call on 150 from a VM line or 0345 454 1111 for a quicker response.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello jamholder

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you have been having problems with an intermittent connection but pleased to see you getting some good advice from griffin.

At the moment we have a low SNR problem in your area F004977770 that may cause you disconnecting problems, the estimated fix is showing as 11 JAN 2017. 

The engineers would like to get this fixed before looking at your power levels as it makes it difficult to get the return line loss etc correct. I have updated your account with the fault so if we have your correct SMS number you will hopefully get updates. Please keep us updated in this thread.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
jamholder
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both for the responses, I'll let you know if there is any change after the 11th (or so)

0 Kudos
jamholder
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK so I gave a few days for any repairs to be done, but the issue still persists, WiFi and wireless signal dropping out frequently even though it remains 'Connected'. I've attached some updated diagnostic info:

newdown.pngnewlog.pngnewup.png

Time for an engineer?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

downstream power levels are high and you may need a engineer out to lower them if the area work as been completed.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi jamholder, 

Thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear about your issues with your WiFi being connected but no internet, apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here for you and I noticed all of your downstream power levels are too high and will require one of our engineers to attend in order to resolve this for you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking, please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos