Menu
optimist73
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wi-fi with Superhub 3 is a disaster for the past 3 weeks.. whats going on?

I have tried talking to customer services in the UK and India and getting nowhere.

It's totally random advice and explanations being given, pretty much different every time. A promise that I would receive a call back from a manager after escalating and making an official complaint about the service amounted to nothing. I was not surprised by this at all Smiley Wink

Virgin customer service (and the general company ethos of up-selling and over-subscription) is truly really very awful.. They know they've got you because in areas with fibre connection they have a monopoly. Rant over!

Ok, so here are the facts:

For the last 3 weeks or so I have been unable to get wi-fi signal on any device (laptop, iphone, ipad) except in the same room as the router (Superhub 3).
After calling up I was told this was due to a Utilization Fault, which now appears to be nonsense, or at least doesnt explain the wi-fi issues. I was told this would be fixed in around 3 months time (people quoted different things even for that).
This morning a new problem has appeared where a couple of devices (guest laptop and iphone) are being randomly kicked off wi-fi, and only staying connected for a couple of minutes once they do reconnect.
I have had several people over the phone doing god knows what setting changes on the router to fix wi-fi so perhaps it's a setting I havent seen yet or a firmware update?
I know how to change channels, and that doesnt really make any difference.
I have now set 2.4Ghz to 802.11n and 5Ghz to 802.11ac (rather than mixed mode) in the hope of getting better signal.

My 50Mbs connection averages around 35, which is plenty (even if not as advertised) as long as wi-fi works.

I have been spending a lot of time calling up to try and resolve the issue, spoken to about 7 different people and thought perhaps someone on here actually knows how routers work and how I can test/configure mine!

Cheers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
optimist73
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-fi with Superhub 3 is a disaster for the past 3 weeks.. whats going on?

Apologies, posted in the wrong forum. Reposted in Broadband > Networking & Wi-fi

0 Kudos
optimist73
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No reply and no call back more than a week later.

Thanks Virgin.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Morning optimist73,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Apologies for not getting to you sooner and for the issues you are experiencing with your broadband connection.

With the wireless connection, have you tried to separate the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network? As these are broadcasting as one and it will make it easier for your devices to connect too.

The high peak time traffic fault in your area, this will cause slow speeds during peak hours. The reference number is F005137226 and has a review date of 17th May.

In relation to the complaint you made, they have tried to contact you to discuss this further.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
optimist73
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha,

Thanks for replying.

"I have now set 2.4Ghz to 802.11n and 5Ghz to 802.11ac (rather than mixed mode) in the hope of getting better signal."

This was the nearest option I could find regarding your suggestion. Can you explain how I could split the bands please?

As far as someone attempting to contact me, I will bet they tried my landline (which randomly stopped working a couple of years ago).
I was getting so many marketing calls and also had little faith in it being fixed free of charge so I just let it go. 
I made a clear point of telling the customer service person to make a note that I should be contacted on my mobile or by email. This appears to have not been communicated. If someone did call my mobile they didnt leave a message.

I was told, "a manager will definitely call you within 1 week". 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi optimist73,

Thanks for the quick reply.

With separating the network, type in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, sign in with the details underneath the router, on the left go into Advanced settings > Wireless > Security. This should give you the option to change both the names and passwords to something different and they will broadcast separately.

In regards to the correct contact number, you can send me a Private Message with these details and I can update them for you, if you wish.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
optimist73
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks, I have done this and will see how it goes

0 Kudos
optimist73
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I set the names and passwords separately.

2G works but 5G cannot be joined. I restarted the router but that made no difference.

I also tried both WPA security options and auto/manual channel settings on 5G.

0 Kudos