Menu
Grahame1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wi-Fi

Could someone please advise what the most compatible wi-fi extender is for the Virgin Mobile hub.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
kevnjohn
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wi-Fi

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would avoid wireless repeaters as they depend very much on your wireless environment and will half the speeds straight off the bat due to the half duplex nature of wireless.

I would go for a wireless access point cabled back to the router or a powerline adapter solution.

All Replies
ash1122
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tp link dual band or the 2.4ghz single band 

0 Kudos
kevnjohn
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would avoid wireless repeaters as they depend very much on your wireless environment and will half the speeds straight off the bat due to the half duplex nature of wireless.

I would go for a wireless access point cabled back to the router or a powerline adapter solution.

Grahame1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Many thanks for your prompt response. Excuse my ignorance but does a power line adapter require a connection over the same wiring ring? ie: my power upstairs is on a different circuit to downstairs. As I am trying to increase my wi-fi signal downstairs and my modem is upstairs is this a viable option?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As long as the ring mains are connected to the same consumer unit it should'nt be a problem.

0 Kudos
Grahame1
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Once again many thanks for the prompt response. I notice on My Virgin Media that they are offering a Netgear Powerline WiFi 1000 at a reasonable price.

Are you familiar with this device and/or would you recommend this?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have a trial set here. They perform fairly well on my old electrical wiring, getting around 120Mbps to 170Mbps on a Ethernet conection. However, the speeds will depend on the condition on your home's electrical wiring and the amount of electrical noise present.

On the downside, they are not pass through, meaning you will need a spare electrical socket for each adapter.

On the wireless side, they are single stream adapters. So realistic speeds would be around 35Mbps on the 2.4Ghz band (Using 1 wireless channel), around 75 Mbps on the 5Ghz band (Using 2 wireless channels ) and around 200Mbps using wireless AC, assuming you have wireless AC capable devices.

Obviously, these speeds will depend on your wireless environment and interference from other wireless networks and domestic appliances can drastically reduce these speeds.

Grahame1
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Griffin,

Thanks for the info, I have found a set even cheaper at Maplins, so placed an order. Hopefully this will solve my issues.

Really appreciate the help and advice offered on this forum.

Many thanks to all who contributed

0 Kudos