Menu
sandman112
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wi-Fi useless

This has been going on for months but finally had enough and tried to cancel today, turns out I'm still in contact so can't agghhh... So I try to talk to support .... Waste of time ...

I'll try and explain see if someone in here can help

Hard wired connections work fine 100% of the time
Wi-Fi drops out every few days, particularly the 5g signal, resetting Wi-Fi or superhub resolves the issues for anything between 2 days to 2 weeks but it always happens again

Tried all settings from encryption to chanels, tried relocation of router as far as I can with limited cable length, resetting devices does not help.

Anyway .... Phone support tried to explain that there are works in the area that may be affecting my signal, they don't seem to grasp that the signal from the coax is fine it's Wi-Fi that's the issue which is obviously within the router And not really anything to do with the incoming signal (after all Wi-Fi should still work as an internal network even with the coax unplugged)

So .... I know going on a bit ... Cancellations said I would be sent a new super hub 3 but tech support were only interested in sending signals and blaming upgrade works ... Since I'm still in contract how do I go about getting this fixed or best case scenario replaced ....currently paying for a service that's sketchy at best 5mm And I haven't even started on tivo yet haha
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-Fi useless

Does the WiFi drop when you are right close to the router/hub?

If it doesn't, then it's likely to be walls/ceilings absorbing signal.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It has been said many times before and I'll say it again.  When it comes to Wi-Fi the VM hubs are fairly poor and should only be regarded as a 'get you started' device.   If you really want decent Wi-Fi, put the hub in Modem Mode and buy a good quality router with external aerials to attach to it via ethernet cable.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
sandman112
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq .... Yeah I know the Wi-Fi is a fairly poor device and if I could I would have a separate Wi-Fi router but at the moment that's not an option (don't have space for another device and Mrs would go nuts at the sight of those big ugly antenna on the better devices)

With regards the other query, in the same room ... Line of sight
0 Kudos
sandman112
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well after over an hour and a half on the phone mark at retention dept seeks to have been able to send me out a new superhub 3 .... So should have that on Tuesday, hope this is better than the previous 2 incarnations of the superhub ??
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It certainly looks like a wireless problem despite what the useless Offshore Call center says.

Wireless is affected by many external influences like Range, Wireless interference, Client hardware and the Topography of your home. The odd wireless dropout is to be expected, it is just the nature of wireless.

Is it just the 5Ghz band dropping out?

What sort of range is the wireless client from the hub?

What sort of obstacles are between the hub and your wireless client?

Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer would help you select the best wireless channel to use. Bear in mind it will not show interference from other sources like A\V streaming devices, baby monitors, chordless phones, fluorescent lighting, microwave ovens, plasma txs, security systems etc.

The hubs are basic entry level devices with very average wireless coverage compared to a decent third party router. Putting the hub in modem mode and getting a decent third party router with external antennae would improve general wireless coverage.

For places that wireless finds hard to reach due to range \ obstructions ect.Powerline Adapters could provide a solution.

EDIT, didn't see other replies got distracted watching the footie.

0 Kudos