Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 17 (99 Views)

Re: Why is my broadband so *****

OK. will do, but still, why ? In the past I had a contract that said " up to 30 mbps" on this device, THIS device, THIS router ,no change and now  I get less than 5 years ago. explain.

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 12 of 17 (95 Views)

No change? You might not have changed anything, but things might have changed you have no control over.

Do a wired speed test to get the definitive answer. If that's good then it's down to your hub/laptops/wireless interference etc.

If it's still p1ss poor then it needs looking in to further.

Dave.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 17 (87 Views)

OK Hands up. Did test with line in and got 71 mbs . How can I make this better ? that's all I Want

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 14 of 17 (80 Views)

Depends which hub you have and what the spec of the network adaptors on your laptops are.

What model is the HP? I know it's an i3 but there's loads of different ones. What does it say on the label?

Assuming it is 802.11b/g/n and only connects on 2.4Ghz, best you'll get is 30 to 40Mb (I have a fairly new HP laptop and this is the case).

You'll need to get a usb wireless adaptor for the laptop. It needs to be 802.11ac and work on the 5Ghz band to get the best speeds.

If you have a hub 2 or 2ac that should be fine. If you have a hub 1 (VMDG480) phone them, tell them it's faulty (it is, the wireless is carp on them amongst other things) and ask for a new hub. If they send you one it will be a hub 3.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 15 of 17 (59 Views)

Have similar problems, I was so fed up one day after speed checked at 5mbs, I phoned VM. "Look I'M being charged for 100 mbs, why am I only getting 5". "No, it's only up to 100 mbs". They ran various checks, then surgested I use an Ethernet cable, to be fair this did improve the speed on a good day best yet is 82.
Strangely enough slowest to load is all VM sites, especially email.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 17 (38 Views)

HI Bigbalu, when I had this problem a few years ago and was paying for 30mps and getting around 23 I was told, by a Virgin representative, that it was UP 30mps but legally it had to be a certain percentage of the advertised figure. Now at the time I did not ask whether that was via wifi or ethernet. Might be worth checking with Which, they might know. Even so, the whole point of wifi is to be portable and unless this is the early 90's it should be better than 5.

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 17 of 17 (25 Views)

Will3 wrote:

HI Bigbalu, when I had this problem a few years ago and was paying for 30mps and getting around 23 I was told, by a Virgin representative, that it was UP 30mps but legally it had to be a certain percentage of the advertised figure. Now at the time I did not ask whether that was via wifi or ethernet. Might be worth checking with Which, they might know. Even so, the whole point of wifi is to be portable and unless this is the early 90's it should be better than 5.

No ISP will guarantee wireless speeds, they have no control over it whatsoever.

If you look at the small print, all the speeds they quote are using a 10/100/1000 Ethernet connection.