Menu
Highlighted
Will3
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Why is my broadband so *****

Originally, a few years ago I was promised 30 mps and I got ( if I was lucky) maybe 23 mbs on a very good day. Now, after checking my download speed numerous times I find my average is around 18 mbs!!  Stop advertising what you can't deliver. Stop bottlenecking. Look after your long term customers or you will loose them all

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Will3
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why is my broadband so SH*TE

One thing I would like to mention. Let's start a protest. GIVE US WHAT WE PAY FOR! None of these " percentages" If you can't provide then don't advertise!

0 Kudos

All Replies
Will3
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why is my broadband so SH*TE

One thing I would like to mention. Let's start a protest. GIVE US WHAT WE PAY FOR! None of these " percentages" If you can't provide then don't advertise!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is my broadband so *****

What speed package are you on now? Wired or wireless? All the time or just evenings and weekends?

Dave.

Will3
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Not sure on contract speed but take it on trust (which at the moment i don't have) at  up to100mps. Now I'm not an idiot but if this is what is advertised then I suppose that "up to" must mean anywhere between 0 and 100 mps. Within reason it should come somewhere close to this speed. I'm on wifi and I do not see why that should be a problem. Both my laptops are in visual distance of my router and still only (just checked) getting around 18 mbs. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Try a wired connection and see what you get. Wireless can make a huge difference to your speeds, all sorts of things can affect the performance.

Not all wireless devices are created equal, the hardware and whether they connect to the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz bands can limit the speeds.

Make/Model of the laptops?

Do you have a hub 1? They're getting on a bit now and the wireless on them was never that good at the best of times.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Will3
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

OK how do I get an uptodate hub. Now this thing about Bottlenecking. . . ?

0 Kudos
Will3
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Is it true that providers monitor usage and at times " bottleneck" downloads?

Now I myself do not Download, Upload or in any other way compromise your industry. I understand that you monitor and administrate what I receive . But , please, stop bottlenecking my broadband...Please ...18mbs ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Make and model of the laptops?

0 Kudos
Will3
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

My old piece of wonder ,why do you wish to know this? the laptop I am using at the moment is quite adequate . But why should the speed differential occur on both laptops. One is 8 yrs old and an Advent using a Celeron processor. My other is a HP with intel i3

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Because the network cards in them may not be capable of delivering the speeds. I can't tell you what they are as you haven't given the model number.

These are the real-life average speeds you can expect from wireless devices:

802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream, up to 5-6 Mbps with some vendor-specific extensions.

802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream

802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc.

802.11ac - 70-100+ Mbps typical, higher speeds (200+ Mbps) possible over short distances without many obstacles, with newer generation 802.11ac routers, and client adapters capable of multiple streams.

Whether they connect on the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band can also make a big difference.

The Advent will most probably be at the lower end of the above. The HP most probably 802.11b/g/n.

Like I said, connect to the hub with an Ethernet cable and see what speeds you get. Don't know about the HP but the Advent will have 10/100 Ethernet, best you'll get from that wired will be 80 or 90.

Dave.

0 Kudos