Menu
nooblets
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Why do I have a Static IP Address?

Virgin says they dont do a static ip addresses

However my ip never changes, I've restarted my supper hub many times, checked all the settings, restarted my pc. But it always remains the same number

I want a dynamic ip address

Ty

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why do I have a Static IP Address?

nooblets wrote:

Virgin says they dont do a static ip addresses

However my ip never changes, I've restarted my supper hub many times, checked all the settings, restarted my pc. But it always remains the same number. I want a dynamic ip address

There are no dynamic IPs with VM, but don't be mistaken into thinking that you have a static IP. VM issued IP addresses are 'sticky' in nature. If you leave your hub off for 8 days, you may get very lucky and get issued a new IP address. Generally though, you'll still end up with the same IP address even after leaving it off that long (I left one of my hubs off for 3 months and when I re-powered it - it got the same IP address back.)

VM IP issued address sticky nature tends to lead to an IP address staying with a hub for a minimum of 1 year and can stay with it easily up to three years.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos