Menu
KamWalsh1
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When i plug in the other end of the modem mode cable to my old sky router it dosent turn on

Can someone help me please i dont know that much about routers because im 15 but i have been getting ddosed and i have heard that if you turn modem mode on you can use one of your old routers to change your ip but when i plug in the other end of the cable that says modem mode under it my old sky router does not turn on please help  -thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: When i plug in the other end of the modem mode cable to my old sky router it dosent turn on

You likely can't use that sky router for cable modem mode you need a router with a Ethernet WAN port.

wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: When i plug in the other end of the modem mode cable to my old sky router it dosent turn on

Doesn't turn on as in doesn't power up or doesn't give you access to the internet?

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
KamWalsh1
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

it dosent power up

0 Kudos
KamWalsh1
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

i also have a O2 old router and a plusnet and they dont power on either

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

KamWalsh1 wrote:

i also have a O2 old router and a plusnet and they dont power on either

Time to get a new one that will work with modem mode.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi KamWalsh1,

Welcome to our Forum Smiley Happy

Did you use your Sky router for broadband down the 'phone line? If so you'll find you're trying to connect an ADSL modem/router to a fibre modem, which won't work. 

Ideally you should use a stand alone wireless router (with no modem). If you don't already have one a search on the Internet should reveal a recommended brand at a realistic price.

You can still enable modem mode without a router connected but you'll only be able to connect a single device (pc or laptop) to the Hub via Ethernet. A new WAN IP will be assigned to whichever device is connected. 

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos